Cant get a local area connection

javierislegend

Hey im new to this forum and wanted to see if any of you could possibly help me? I have only one computer im trying to connect to the internet directly through a regular Cable Modem. I have already installed my drivers and all but i still cant seem to get a local area connection? never have i ever came to this problem, normally it would detect one correct? and yes i have also already tried creating a new network and EVERYTHING. the wizard completes itself and everything is exactly the same, no internet. i wanna pull my hair out someone help!:confused::confused:

LA1

How are you connecting to the modem ? by cat5 or usb ? you can't use both.
After you connect you should really consider getting a router. As you are now, everyone on the internet can see your pc. It is like walking away from your house and leaving your front door wide open.
Did you try turning off the modem, turning off the pc. Then turn on the cable modem, wait a few minutes then turn on the pc. Cable modems cache the last downstream ip address they were conneceted to. Is this a new account ? did this settup stop working or is it new ?

javierislegend

How are you connecting to the modem ? by cat5 or usb ? you can't use both.
After you connect you should really consider getting a router. As you are now, everyone on the internet can see your pc. It is like walking away from your house and leaving your front door wide open.
Did you try turning off the modem, turning off the pc. Then turn on the cable modem, wait a few minutes then turn on the pc. Cable modems cache the last downstream ip address they were conneceted to. Is this a new account ? did this settup stop working or is it new ?

With a cat5 cable.
Yeah i have already done that as well, sometimes we have to do that in order to make the internet on the ps3 work for our laptop. when i open 'My Network Connections' i still dont see 'Local Area Connection'

javierislegend

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that i fixed the problem.. apparently some of the internet settings were turned off in the BIOS, but in order for the internet to work i ALSO had to be connected through a router. As before, i was connected directly to the modem. Weird. but works! thanks again everyone!