Cant get computer to start, help please

karder

New Member
I just got most of the components for a new build from my brother, but I have an issue.

Whenever I plug in everything and complete the build the screen won't come on. When everything is plugged into the motherboard, I turn on the switch of the PSU and then the magic (sarcasm) happens.

The case fans start, the CPU fan starts, the PSU fan starts and all the led lights go on. Note that I do not push the power swith of the case, only turn the PSU switch from 0 to 1 (turning on the PSU).

The GPU doesn't do anything (PNY GTX 260 core 213). The PSU has enough power, 750w, so I do not believe that is the problem. Also, some times the power switch of the case works and sometimes not. It just wont respond when I push or push and hold.

Please help as this is driving me crazy! My best guess is that the motherboard is malfunctioning (Since sometimes the computer goes on and dies after a few seconds).

Thanks in advance.

PS. I don't know the brand of most the stuff.
 
First, why are you using the PSU to power on your PC? I know your case button doesn't work sometimes, but it just seems strange to me.
Make sure all the cables are hooked up.
It does seem like a motherboard problem from what you are saying. You do have the stand offs in right? (the little screw like things that keep the board off the case)
Make sure the case switch is connected properly.

Keep us posted.
 
1. I am not using it as a switch, but before I plug in the power into the wall I always have it turned off. Then I simply turn on the PSU switch. After that I am sometimes able to use Case power switch and sometimes not.

2. Cables are 99% hooked up correct, double triple and quadra checked.

3. Yes, I did not want the MB to be in any contact with any metal of the case.

4. Since the case switch sometimes works, I assume it must be properly connected.


Based on these answers, it is the motherboard, right?
 
hmmm... It seems like the mobo to me. You aren't getting a beeps right (assuming you have the case speaker installed.
I'd wait to hear from others though.
 
Case audio? There is a tiny speaker on the mobo but haven't heard any beeps from that one.

Also, forgot to mention earlier. When I plug in HD AUDIO cables, computer won't power up, but when plugging in AC'97 cables into the same place, it powers up. But still no beeps.
 
Back
Top