Can't get past POST

Pausop

I can get past the flash but can't get past the POST. I receive the follow screen (attachment).20180323_021616-2304x1296.jpg
The mouse and keyboard are not recognized so I cannot get into the BIOS. I have tried a different keyboard and mouse. The USB port works as I can charge my phone.
I have taken all elements out and put back in. I have reset the BIOS and taken out the CMOS battery.
Any ideas?
Paula

_Pete_

Are you using an IDE connected drive? The first drive which is labeled primary slave 0 should read primary master 0. If you are using IDE connectivity, which it looks as if you are because there are no SATA drives listed, there is a jumper on the back of the hard drive that must be set to "master" and your operating system must be on that primary drive 0.
http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-set-jumpers-for-your-computers-ide-drive/

sorry about the "dummies" it was the first thing that came up when I googled it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using IDE connectivity, which it looks as if you are because there are no SATA drives listed,
If you google those 2 hard drive models, you'll see that they are sata. Even the Dvd drives are Sata. Some bios just detects them as primary/secondary instead of Sata. He also could be running in IDE mode instead of Ahci.

Any ideas?
My guess is you have a usb port issue shorting out possibly. Are you using front or rear usb port for mouse/keyboard? You can try building the motherboard outside of the case to verify there are no motherboard shorts.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Actually quite a while ago the front USB ports stopped working.
All of the back ones also stopped working one by one after I accidently tried to plug in the wrong end of my phone cable to do a backup
That would have been helpful in your first post... You need a new motherboard then.

Pausop

That would have been helpful in your first post... You need a new motherboard then.

Ah okay. Sorry I only just remembered that happened.

Do you have a recommendation for a motherboard?
I work with graphics and Internet quite a bit.
Thank you

Pausop

Are you using an IDE connected drive? The first drive which is labeled primary slave 0 should read primary master 0. If you are using IDE connectivity, which it looks as if you are because there are no SATA drives listed, there is a jumper on the back of the hard drive that must be set to "master" and your operating system must be on that primary drive 0.
http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-set-jumpers-for-your-computers-ide-drive/

sorry about the "dummies" it was the first thing that came up when I googled it.
Thank you Pete. Dummy sounds about right for me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The best thing to do would be to try and find the existing motherboard on ebay since its an old motherboard. If not, you may have to update motherboard, ram, cpu. What operating system were you using? If windows 10 and its tied to a microsoft account, you can actually just get another socket 1155 board, doesn't have to be asrock and just reinstall windows. It will activate once you sign into your MS account.

Pausop

Ok. If I have to reinstall windows won't I loose all my data on the computer?
I am using Windows 10.
Paula

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to backup any data attaching drive to another computer and pulling the data off of it.
I am using Windows 10.
But are you using a microsoft account with it?

I know you can't access it but this is what my activation section says.

activation.jpg

So when I go to setup a new build, I can just use my account to activate windows, won't need to buy a new license.

Pausop

You'll have to backup any data attaching drive to another computer and pulling the data off of it.

I only have a laptop. How can I pull the data onto that?

Sorry for some maybe stupid questions. Although I use computers quite a lot, I am definitely not technically minded. Although after going through the whole testing each part of the computer tutorials, I now have a greater understanding of the inside of the computer.

But are you using a microsoft account with it?
Not sure about that.

I know you can't access it but this is what my activation section says.

View attachment 8735

So when I go to setup a new build, I can just use my account to activate windows, won't need to buy a new license.

I bought windows 7 and got the free version of Windows 10 when it came out years after.
I shouldn't have to buy it again if I have a dead motherboard should I?
Paula

Pausop

You'll have to backup any data attaching drive to another computer and pulling the data off of it

Sorry for some maybe stupid questions. Although I use computers quite a lot, I am definitely not technically minded. Although after going through the whole testing each part of the computer tutorials, I now have a greater understanding of the inside of the computer.
Paula

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I bought windows 7 and got the free version of Windows 10 when it came out years after.
I shouldn't have to buy it again if I have a dead motherboard should I?
Paula
If you change the motherboard to a different one, it won't match any activation string on microsoft's servers. If you can find the exact same one, then there will be no problem.
Since you have a laptop, it would be easier to get one of these adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G

Pausop

If you change the motherboard to a different one, it won't match any activation string on microsoft's servers. If you can find the exact same one, then there will be no problem

I guess that's the best way to do it then.
But what if I didn't use my Microsoft account. Will I have to re-buy windows 7 or even worse, pay full price for Windows 10?
It all sounds so complicated and I hate doing searches etc on my phone.
Paula

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try using the existing key if you can retrieve it and use the phone activation method. It may or may not work.

Pausop

You can try using the existing key if you can retrieve it and use the phone activation method. It may or may not work.

I have the key as I bought it as a cd.
Should I buy the whole motherboard or just the socket as you said?
Paula

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Should I buy the whole motherboard or just the socket as you said?
I didn't say just the socket. I said buying a totally different socket 1155 motherboard. Asrock isn't a popular brand where Gigabyte and Asus is.