Cant install OS on new build.

Jerrick

New Member
So I switched over to the system that is in my sig, and on startup, I got a NTLDR is missing error. I tried 13 different solutions to fixing that, but none of them worked, so I figured ill format that drive and reinstall my OS.

So I put in my windows XP cd, and its not booting from that. I also have a windows 98 cd, and sometimes I have to start with that, then go to XP.

I put in my 98 cd, it boots from that, i go through fdisk and reformat, then start to install 98. It finishes, but once it gets to the screen that says "Running windows for the first time" it gets an error that says Insufficient memory. I guess 98 doesnt work with newer equipment.

But now im stuck on my iBookG4. Isnt there a linux/ubuntu iso I can download and boot my comp from that? Im sure that would support all the hardware I have and not crash.

Im trying to be quick, cause I cant be on the laptop too much longer.
 
You can download Linux ISO and create a bootable disc for that.

Also i would say your XP disc is damaged and a file isn't being transfered.....
 
You can download Linux ISO and create a bootable disc for that.

Also i would say your XP disc is damaged and a file isn't being transfered.....


Im on ubuntu right now, and planned to go from this to xp. But ubuntu doesnt see my cd/dvd drive, and I know the drive works as I was just using it yesterday, and ive tried lots of cds. Audio, Xp, dvds, nothing.

And im completely new at ubuntu so I have no clue how to work anything or browse around really.
 
to fix the NTLDR error disable antivirus in the BIOS. By default BIOSes dont let things write to the MBR (historically virusees live there) but the bootloader needs to go there during OS install.
 
Thanks. Ill keep that in mind if that problem occurs again.

Ive fixed my problems so far by using wine and porting windows programs for linux. I almost feel like staying with ubuntu, but ill keep it on one of my other 3 computers. :)
 
Back
Top