Can't Install SP2

TarlsQtr

Hi all.

I have an old laptop, Toshiba Satellite 4600, that I am trying to use as a backup.

It had Windows 2000 and I put on XP. I have downloaded and installed the updates, except Service Pack 2.

When I try, the wizard comes up for a split second and then disappears with an error message.

It says that I must be on AC power to install this update. Well, I AM on AC power, in fact, I do not even have a battery in it. I also received the same message with a battery in it.

Thanks in advance!

ScottALot

(Just make sure that the thing is charging, because maybe you plugged it into a wallport that is controlled by a wallswitch)

aviation_man

(Just make sure that the thing is charging, because maybe you plugged it into a wallport that is controlled by a wallswitch)

Would it really matter if it was charging or not? And he said that at the time he didn't have the battery in when he got the error message. He was on AC at the time..

ScottALot

AC meaning plugged into the wall. If the wall isn't generating any electricity, then YOU AINT RECEIVING AC POWER

TarlsQtr

Hi Scott. It is plugged into the wall and running. I do not even have a battery in it, so it would not power up at all if the wall switch was off.

ScottALot

OOOOOH!! I thought he said you DID have the battery in... my bad.

Make sure your power settings are good?

TarlsQtr

OOOOOH!! I thought he said you DID have the battery in... my bad.

Make sure your power settings are good?

According to the Power Meter, it says the current power source is batteries, which is obviously not true.

Other than that, I am not even sure what my power settings should be.

pokedome

OK well this is for shure that your computer thinks its on batery power so can I make a sugestion!

It may be a bord error ruting the power from ac to batery to charge then because there is no battery (or even when there is) its be sent back to the bord and used making it think its on battery power!

Or at lest I think so! (It sounds like it!)

chrisalv14

banned
i doubt its the power system. im guessing something to do with the Hardware or Operation system the thing is installed with.

What memory is it?
Who knows, the laptop may not be strong enough for sp2 on it. Please someone correct me if i am wrong but thats maybe what i think it may be.

pokedome

i doubt its the power system. im guessing something to do with the Hardware or Operation system the thing is installed with.

What memory is it?
Who knows, the laptop may not be strong enough for sp2 on it. Please someone correct me if i am wrong but thats maybe what i think it may be.

It can be both or neither or one of them but to make shure just take to your nearest computer store (Private Not Company) and get them to take a look!

The company ones will try to sell you a new computer or expensive upgrades!