Can't Install Windows On My New 500GB HDD

Midna

After it gets past the format screen (I do quick format), I get this message:

Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installing file.

To retry, press ENTER. If you are not successful after several tries, quit Setup. Then, to restart Setup, copy the Windows XP installation files to your hard disk.

To quit Setup, press F3.

I am using a copy of the CD that I created with nLite. I can't use the normal OS CD becuase the CD needs to have the RAID drivers

I did install it successfully once. I had loaded the drivers put all my stuff on but I couldn't seem to get the video driver to work. I had went to Intel's site downloaded the exe driver but it said it wasn't for my system (even though I selected the right OS. So I download the zip version of it and it seemed to work (didn't say there was an errro or anything) until I restarted my laptop

I get black screen which says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missin or corrupted:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' t the first screen to start repair.

I tried to do a repair and went to this site, but the repair option wasn't avaialable so I reformatted the HDD and tried to reinstall Windows again. After I get past the format screen. I get message saying that Setup cannot copy the files from the CD to install the OS.

Bodaggit23

The only time you have to install disc drivers at setup is when you have more than one hard drive setup in a RAID array.

Midna

I know but this laptop has RAID and I can't disable it, it's not an option in the BIOS. Dumb eh?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely you botched in making the install cd. And are you sure its raid and not AHCI like most laptops are? Different drivers would be needed.