Can't Install XP

Cpetrie

So, I have this knack for offering to work on people's older, barely functioning computer (usually offered frustratedly after working on a slow computer). I think I may have done myself in this time: I offered to reformat and install XP (originally had Windows 2000) onto a Dell Optiplex GX1 500MTbr+ (circa 1998). I transferred the data off of the HDD in the computer, which sounded like it was dying anyway. Then I removed the HDD and put a larger one I had lying around (the original was ~10gb, the new one is 32gb). When I start the computer there are two BIOS beeps, and it says:

"Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure
Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 Not Found
Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found
Secondary Hard Disk Drive 0 Not Found
Secondary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found

3Com PXE, Version 0.99j.03

DHCP MAC ADDR: 00 C0 4F 40 17 C1
PXE-E53: No Boot filename received from BINL, DHCP, or BOOTP
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE"

Additionally, when I go into the BIOS to set the boot order, I only see the device labeled PXE, I don't see the disk drive, or the HDD. I do not know if the forum rules permit the offer of cash rewards, but I am prepared to compensate any individual who helps me see this through. If it is against the rules; pretend I didn't say anything.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go back into the bios and look at the boot devices again and disable network boot(boot from lan). You will want cdrom to be first device and then HDD as second. However, if you can't get the bios to recognize any cdroms or HDD's then the boot option won't appear for those devices. Most likely you have a loose or bad IDE cable. Check your connections or switch cables.

Cpetrie

Alright, I got it to recognize the CD Drive and the HDD (foolish cabling mistake). There is now a single BIOS beep on startup (safe to assume that means 'all good').

I am not certain where to disable Network Boot, I did not see that on there, I can double, check, though.

Anyway, I successfully changed the Boot Order:
CD Rom
HDD
PXE

Now, when I attempt to start the computer it says:
"Master Boot Record Error
Press a Key."

(Pressing a key just makes the message repeat)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now try booting to the XP install cd and see if it will install.

Just disable PXE boot to get rid of that option, its mainly for businesses anyway.

Cpetrie

I removed PXE from the boot order completely, with the XP Install CD in I still get the "Master Boot Record Error." I noticed that the light on the CD Drive is green until the moment that the "Master Boot Record Error" appears, at which point it turns orange.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have cdrom as first boot device then. Make sure you press a key to actually boot the xp install cd when it says "press a key to boot to cd". Then if you still can't get xp to install, you may have a bad hard drive. A 32 gb hard drive is really old, are you sure you don't have it jumpered to limit it to 32gb?

fmw

The boot order is a priority of boot devices. If the computer can't boot from the primary, it tries to boot from the secondary and so forth. This happens automatically. Pay attention to what the system is telling you. To me it sounds as if you have a defective CD ROM drive or install disk. The BIOS can't find anything bootable on the CD ROM so it should go try to boot from the HDD which, of course isn't bootable. At that point you should get the error message. You can watch the devices as the boot process proceeds and noodle out where the boot fails. My next step, in your shoes would be to try a different optical drive. You'll never get anywhere until the BIOS can find something bootable.

Damian Stormbow

The boot order is a priority of boot devices. If the computer can't boot from the primary, it tries to boot from the secondary and so forth. This happens automatically. Pay attention to what the system is telling you. To me it sounds as if you have a defective CD ROM drive or install disk. The BIOS can't find anything bootable on the CD ROM so it should go try to boot from the HDD which, of course isn't bootable. At that point you should get the error message. You can watch the devices as the boot process proceeds and noodle out where the boot fails. My next step, in your shoes would be to try a different optical drive. You'll never get anywhere until the BIOS can find something bootable.

Excellent advice! I would first take that install disk and try it on a more modern computer to see if it will boot(rule out the CD). Change the BIOS, boot up in the newer machine to see if it works. :cool: