WIndows 10 Can't login after Windows update

novicegeek

So I've got this co-worker's computer (which has been happening a lot lately), and Windows told her to update, and after it rebooted, she could not login. The login screen was present, it's just that her password, or any password, didn't work. I'm assuming that Windows didn't update correctly, and I'm assuming that I need a password recovery tool to help her out. Any suggestions on one?

By the way, I've tried to boot into safe mode, with no success. All avenues (accessed through pressing shift while clicking restart) ask for a password , which I cannot give. She gave me her password, but nothing, including that, seems to work.

All ideas welcomed.

Thanks for the help.

Darren

Staff member
Boot to advanced recovery and do a system restore to before the update and hopefully system restore is enabled. Yes, windows update sometimes causes this issue. If system restore isn't enabled, then try going back to previous build.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229

If neither will work then guess what, its time to backup data and reinstall windows.
There's a fairly easy way to crack a Windows password that would make this not necessary but per rules I can't share here.