Can't login Windows 10

I try to login and it goes in an infinite loop.

Asks for password. I type it in and it accepts it.

Asks me to set up a PIN. I click "Next" and it says it can't do it. I click "Skip For Now" and it takes me back to password entry.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Follow that guide to do system restore to previous time.

Follow that guide to do system restore to previous time.

I tried this and it says "no restore points have been created." Does this mean I have to do it from a USB drive? Any idea where I can get one?

Do you know what went wrong here? Is this something Microsoft did when they forced me to download an update?

It's Windows 11, btw.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, most likely an update caused the issue. Since system restore wasn't turned on then you'll most likely have to do a fresh install of the OS.

Download the tool to create the usb to reinstall 11.

Yes, most likely an update caused the issue. Since system restore wasn't turned on then you'll most likely have to do a fresh install of the OS.

Download the tool to create the usb to reinstall 11.

Before I read your last post, I "Reset the PC" which I believe means reinstall Windows.

Even after doing this, it still does the same thing. I type in my password and it brings me back to the sign in screen, after asking me about creating a PIN that I can't create.

If Resetting didn't work, then will that tool?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you choose to save data or remove data? Your profile is screwed up so you will need to choose to remove your data and start fresh.

Or you can try creating a new account using recovery mode and log into that and then you'll need to take ownership of your old files.

Did you choose to save data or remove data? Your profile is screwed up so you will need to choose to remove your data and start fresh.

Or you can try creating a new account using recovery mode and log into that and then you'll need to take ownership of your old files.

I kept my personal files because I need them. How did my profile get messed up? Shouldn't Microsoft take responsibility for this? I'm just glad I keep 99% of things on removable drives, but I still need that 1%.

How do I create a new account in Recovery Mode?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried booting to safe mode? If you can get in there then you can easily create a new account using the command prompt.

Just scroll down to where it says

Make User Accounts in Command Prompt​

Have you tried booting to safe mode? If you can get in there then you can easily create a new account using the command prompt.

Just scroll down to where it says

Make User Accounts in Command Prompt​

It says...

"The user or group account specified cannot be found.

The user was successfully created but could not be added to the USERS local group."

Any idea what I should do next?

I'm in X:\Windows\system32>

It says...

"The user or group account specified cannot be found.

The user was successfully created but could not be added to the USERS local group."

Any idea what I should do next?

I'm in X:\Windows\system32>
I did this from Recovery Mode, not Safe Mode. Does that make a difference? I enabled Safe Mode, but can't figure out how to start in Safe Mode.

When I push 4 for Safe Mode, it restarts but then goes to the regular Sign In screen.

And now when I push Sign In, it doesn't even let me type in a password. It tells me I need to download something from the app store.

What is going on here? Did Microsoft break my computer?

Download what?

Screenshots would help here.

That should be c:\windows\system32
I made the USB install disk and was attempting to send files to the USB when I encountered a problem...

Under the users folder, there are a bunch of users called defaultuser10000, defaultuser10001, etc. I've never heard of these and they each have a folder called Desktop in them, but they just contain something called Removed Apps.txt

When I go to the user folder that is the actual username I sign in with (at least I think it is) which is called farme, there is no Desktop folder in there.

The files I'm trying to save were on the Desktop. The farme folder has many files from the Downloads folder, but those aren't what I'm looking for.

I've taken photos of my screen, but they're too large to upload.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Those defaultuser folders will appear when trying to do in place of upgrade of the OS I do believe. It's been years since I've seen them.

I think your only options here are gonna be to figure out a way to create a new user via the command prompt in recovery mode and then transfer your data over to the new user.

Those defaultuser folders will appear when trying to do in place of upgrade of the OS I do believe. It's been years since I've seen them.

I think your only options here are gonna be to figure out a way to create a new user via the command prompt in recovery mode and then transfer your data over to the new user.
Ok. It's just so strange that all the files in Downloads folder of "farme" user are still there, but not the Desktop files. It was just 2 .xls files that I need that I didn't save to a removable drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But the user account you are using might not have permissions to see the desktop folder. In that case, you won't see anything in the folder. Windows can be funky at times. I've seen a lot of pc's where windows updated and then the user account profile is corrupted to where you can't log into it so it loads a generic profile.

But the user account you are using might not have permissions to see the desktop folder. In that case, you won't see anything in the folder. Windows can be funky at times. I've seen a lot of pc's where windows updated and then the user account profile is corrupted to where you can't log into it so it loads a generic profile.

Is there any way I can get these permissions now? I was the only user on this computer. If that's the case, would I be able to see the Downloads folder under that user?