Can't open hard drive all of a sudden

JaredDM

Hello JaredDM,

I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks to save my data, but what is the succes rate in cases like this? And where do I need to go? I'm located in the Netherlands, and I have a bad experience with my local computer shop recovering data, many files were corrupted or old versions of files,, had unidentifiable names, etc.

From what you describe, I'd say it's 99.9% chance that nearly all data will be recovered. Obviously, there is the likely possibility that at least some files will be corrupted by bad sectors. I'm not surprised you had a bad experience getting data recovery at a "computer shop". Most are just running some free/cheap data recovery software and have no capabilities to handle hardware issues. Often they cause more harm than they do good in data recovery. You need a bonafide data recovery company. I hope wherever you took it is that. Any places offering other services like phone repairs and virus removals are not serious data recovery companies. To do data recovery the right way costs thousands upon thousands of dollars for equipment and upgrades to that equipment to keep up with newer storage media. So anyone doing data recovery the right way isn't going to be doing anything but data recovery.

Today I delivered my disk to a data recovery center. To avoid having these issues in the future, I want to set up a RAID 1 configuration, while running Windows 7 on my SSD. What happens when the SSD dies and I want to put my RAID 1 drives in a new system (say Windows 10)? Does all data transfer or will I have trouble with controllers or drivers?

RAID isn't backup. It can help, but I've seen entire arrays where all drives were blown by a power issue. Even more common I see where an encryption virus encrypts all the data and it didn't matter how many mirror drives were in the set, they're all encrypted. The only real backup is A BACKUP!!! It's best to have a versioned backup + occasional cold storage backup (in case a virus gets the backup too) that is kept disconnected and stored in a closet.

Darren

Staff member
From what you describe, I'd say it's 99.9% chance that nearly all data will be recovered. Obviously, there is the likely possibility that at least some files will be corrupted by bad sectors. I'm not surprised you had a bad experience getting data recovery at a "computer shop". Most are just running some free/cheap data recovery software and have no capabilities to handle hardware issues. Often they cause more harm than they do good in data recovery. You need a bonafide data recovery company. I hope wherever you took it is that. Any places offering other services like phone repairs and virus removals are not serious data recovery companies. To do data recovery the right way costs thousands upon thousands of dollars for equipment and upgrades to that equipment to keep up with newer storage media. So anyone doing data recovery the right way isn't going to be doing anything but data recovery.

RAID isn't backup. It can help, but I've seen entire arrays where all drives were blown by a power issue. Even more common I see where an encryption virus encrypts all the data and it didn't matter how many mirror drives were in the set, they're all encrypted. The only real backup is A BACKUP!!! It's best to have a versioned backup + occasional cold storage backup (in case a virus gets the backup too) that is kept disconnected and stored in a closet.

As a tech in a computer shop that you describe, this is all very accurate. We pretty much just copy and paste stuff between drives and use Acronis to make an image on a backup server as well. I'll try and pull Grandma's pictures and documents off a clicking hard drive but anything high risk or on a drive not being recognized by Windows I direct them to a professional recovery service like you do.

have you tied using a different power cable to the drive, could be a power supply issue, strange things happen that seem completely unrelated to the power supply if everything is not getting the exact correct amount of power, if you have 3 hard drives, assuming this is not your OS hard drive, try disconnecting the other drive that works and use its power cable to test the drive that's failing.

if this works then the problem is with one of the runs on the power supply, which personally would case me to go out and change the entire PSU else risk other future problems with power failure.

JaredDM

have you tied using a different power cable to the drive, could be a power supply issue, strange things happen that seem completely unrelated to the power supply if everything is not getting the exact correct amount of power, if you have 3 hard drives, assuming this is not your OS hard drive, try disconnecting the other drive that works and use its power cable to test the drive that's failing.

if this works then the problem is with one of the runs on the power supply, which personally would case me to go out and change the entire PSU else risk other future problems with power failure.

The drive has S.M.A.R.T. errors related to uncorrectable sectors. Even if the original issue was caused by a bad power supply (unlikely) it's not going to fix the drive now if you replace it. The drive is toast and needs to be recovered/replaced.

I direct them to a professional recovery service like you do.

I don't direct anyone to a professional recovery service, I run a professional recovery service. ;)

Hello JaredDM,

I am willing to spend a few hundred bucks to save my data, but what is the succes rate in cases like this? And where do I need to go? I'm located in the Netherlands, and I have a bad experience with my local computer shop recovering data, many files were corrupted or old versions of files,, had unidentifiable names, etc.

Since you are in the Netherlands, perhaps you should give this company a go: http://www.day1data.com/

They're reputable and right over in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaredDM

I mistyped. I direct them to a professional recovery service like the kind of work you do. ;)

Out of curiosity, where do you usually direct people too? I'm always curious about what company computer techs are recommending and why they favor one company over others. I've been amazed how many people like DriveSavers for the free shipping both ways (despite the fact they charge 3x what most companies do).

Darren

Staff member
Out of curiosity, where do you usually direct people too? I'm always curious about what company computer techs are recommending and why they favor one company over others. I've been amazed how many people like DriveSavers for the free shipping both ways (despite the fact they charge 3x what most companies do).
Theirs a local recovery service here in town I usually send them to.

JaredDM

Really, I wasn't aware of any companies out there in Wichita. But, I guess I haven't been there in a while. Last time I was out that way was when I was going to Goddard Middle school 20 years ago.

I suppose "local" is a good reason to choose a company any day.

Darren

Staff member
Really, I wasn't aware of any companies out there in Wichita. But, I guess I haven't been there in a while. Last time I was out that way was when I was going to Goddard Middle school 20 years ago.

I suppose "local" is a good reason to choose a company any day.
I forgot you were familiar with the area. I usually just tell my customers to look it up for themselves but I'm actually not 100 percent sure the stuff I'm finding is strictly local.

http://www.filesaversdatarecovery.com/locations/kansas/data-recovery-in-wichita-ks.html.
http://datarecoverywichita.net/contact-us.html

Anyway, lets not get too OT. :)