Can't rename or move a file?

lostsoul62

I scanned some papers in my computer which is a PDF file and now I can't rename or move it. I scanned the hard drive for viruses and bad sectors which gave me a 1024 error message and then I did a check disk /r and it said everything was OK. So I did manage to copy it to another drive and it's ok. I can do whatever I want to the file. On the other hard drive where I scanned the file to I can copy it but nothing else. I also scanned other papers and they were OK. The problem file is large with 70 papers but I scanned other small file just the same way. Anyone have any idea. I was going to throw the hard drive away but it's OK I guess.

Agent Smith

To understand what you said. You have 1025 viruses or bad sectors?

The pdf works on another computer or HDD?

I'd backup all your shit now and get a new drive.

How old is the drive? What model?

You can try HDTune to check it and CrystalDiskInfo. There's also Hard Drive Sentential, but that might be payware. Regardless, you are not guaranteed what these programs say and if the drive said 1024 bad sectors and you are having issues with the drive you will want to replace it ASAP. Also note that backing up files runs the risk that they are already corrupt. That is why you clone your drives often to external HDDs.

lostsoul62

The bad drive has no viruses so I back up the data to several Hard Drives. What I don't understand is that check disk says "No problems" After backing up the drive I compared the data and it was the same. Replacing the drive is no problem but I would like to know what is wrong with it in case I get this on another drive. If the file I scan was corrupt it would not work on another drive but it does just not on the drive I scanned it to. The drive is 4 years old. I wonder if it could be software instead of hardware? Anyway I get something like this again I am replacing the drive. Also I have so many backups I have never lost in data ever. Thanks