Can't run Fallout 4 on ultra??

The VCR King

Got and installed Fallout 4. Tried to run on Ultra settings and my GPU fan ramped up to 100% and locked up about 40FPS. Might be getting an upgrade soon...

The VCR King

And I know some of you don't think my PC is much, but hey, I got it for free, and some of the things it can do are quite impressive. Just now it's time to upgrade...

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
And I know some of you don't think my PC is much
It's not, which is why you're not running Fallout 4 on max.

I had a Phenom II X6 1055T for a while and even that + my GTX 670 I was lagging like crazy in Watchdogs on medium. Once I upgraded to my current i7 it runs much smoother.

It'll be even better once I upgrade to a GTX 970 or 980 next year in preparation for the purchase of my Oculus Rift.

Darren

Staff member
Turn down shadow distance to medium. Helps a LOT. Godrays also destroys AMD cards and hits Nvidia cards pretty hard too.

The VCR King

Turn down shadow distance to medium. Helps a LOT. Godrays also destroys AMD cards and hits Nvidia cards pretty hard too.
Thanks for the tip. I'm getting a solid 60FPS on low quality and the graphics on low isnt that bad at all :) I'll definitely try the shadow thing too.

tylerjrb

Yeah it is difficult to run compared to other games especially in big cities etc. for example single 980Ti in mine will do 120-130fps+ 1440p with everything maxed out on bf4, this can drop down to 40 in some places. Badly optimized at the minute and ofc bethesda, no SLI/cf profile either yet :(. Just make sure to put god rays on low or off, that has a big fps impact with minimal differences to graphics quality.

tylerjrb

At the minute little fettling and my cards are running about 70% on each GPU with fallout 4. Which keeps me at 120-144fps until you get into the cities where fps just takes a dump. faster than a single GPU but obviously not a propper SLI profile. Nvida are bringing one out soon, well they have stated so anyway. AMD however, could be waiting years for a CF profile lol :p

The VCR King

At the minute little fettling and my cards are running about 70% on each GPU with fallout 4. Which keeps me at 120-144fps until you get into the cities where fps just takes a dump. faster than a single GPU but obviously not a propper SLI profile. Nvida are bringing one out soon, well they have stated so anyway. AMD however, could be waiting years for a CF profile lol :p
Even on low quality my poor old 6950 goes to 100% and my FPS stays around 40 during all gameplay, I hit 61 sometimes though. My PC runs so hot on Fallout 4 I had to put a fan in my office... I began sweating because my PC was running so hot from the game.

But again, I got the PC for free, and I'm happy with it, and it was a kick-ass rig for awhile, but alas, it's time to upgrade the Beast. I plan to get an R9 380, a new PSU, and 8Gb more RAM to bring me up to my max 16GB using my Xmas moneys. Might watercool it if I'm not broke by the end of this :p

spirit

Staff member
Even on low quality my poor old 6950 goes to 100% and my FPS stays around 40 during all gameplay, I hit 61 sometimes though. My PC runs so hot on Fallout 4 I had to put a fan in my office... I began sweating because my PC was running so hot from the game.

But again, I got the PC for free, and I'm happy with it, and it was a kick-ass rig for awhile, but alas, it's time to upgrade the Beast. I plan to get an R9 380, a new PSU, and 8Gb more RAM to bring me up to my max 16GB using my Xmas moneys. Might watercool it if I'm not broke by the end of this :p
I think you should overclock too. If memory serves me correctly the 1090T and the 1100T were both good overclockers. They may have even been multiplier unlocked - I know the Black Editions were. I'm not sure which X6 you have but again if memory serves me correctly they were basically the same but the 1100T was stock clocked a little higher (somebody correct me if I'm wrong, haven't like at Phenom II X6s since about 2010 or 2011!) :p