Can't run Fallout 4 on ultra??

beers

Staff member
If memory serves me correctly the 1090T and the 1100T were both good overclockers.

Werd. 4 GHz was usually a decent target goal that most could obtain. Some more 'golden' type of chips could hit 4.1/4.2 as 24/7 clocks. The only depressing thing about overclocking those was that the IMC can't handle very high RAM frequencies.

You'll get a decent performance boost when overclocking the NB/CPU value as well (2600/2800 MHz).

spirit

Staff member
Werd. 4 GHz was usually a decent target goal that most could obtain. Some more 'golden' type of chips could hit 4.1/4.2 as 24/7 clocks. The only depressing thing about overclocking those was that the IMC can't handle very high RAM frequencies.

You'll get a decent performance boost when overclocking the NB/CPU value as well (2600/2800 MHz).
Looks like the 1090T was stock clocked at 3.2GHz and the 1100T clocked at 3.3GHz, so 4.0GHz isn't a bad overclock at all. Might notice the difference between 3.2GHz and 4.0GHz.

spirit

Staff member
Current BIOS only allows 16, and besides, I don't need 32. I would love 32 but that's a bit overkill...
To be honest for you what you do 16GB is probably overkill. I had 16GB but only upgraded to 32GB because After Effects was chewing up my RAM, so unless you're doing stuff like that or running VMs then 16GB is definitely enough. For a system that's just really for gaming 8GB is fine.

The VCR King

Then you can overclock it if your board and cooling are good enough. That will give you a performance boost.
The guy who built the PC many years ago said he'll help me with installing my new GPU and PSU when I get it. I'm also buying a water cooler. I'll ask him to OC my processor while he installs my parts. :)

beers

Staff member
The guy who built the PC many years ago said he'll help me with installing my new GPU and PSU when I get it. I'm also buying a water cooler. I'll ask him to OC my processor while he installs my parts. :)

OC is usually better done yourself depending on what clocks you're trying to achieve. Sometimes hunting the edge of stability is a very time consuming process.

Geoff

VIP Member
How much are you spending on a water cooler? A decent air cooler is often more than adequate and much cheaper.

The VCR King

How much are you spending on a water cooler? A decent air cooler is often more than adequate and much cheaper.
Was gonna get a Corsair H60. About $70 at MicroCenter. One of the fans on my current CPU cooler is acting like its gonna lose a bearing soon. It's doing a grinding thing every now and then. I'm tired of replacing fans and I just wanna watercool it.

The VCR King

Getting ready to order the H60 on Amazon, and I'm going to mount the 120mm fan on the rear of my case on the 120mm fan slot by the IO shield. Now I just need to see if I can take off my current cooler without removing the CPU with it... I'm just going to use the pre-applied thermal paste that comes with the cooler.

Darren

Staff member
You're wasting your money on a watercooler, particularly an H60. A 30 dollar air cooler is going to provide plenty of cooling for what kind of overclocks you'll be able to do. Also you're probably going to need to take the CPU out to clean off the old thermal paste anyway.

The VCR King

You're wasting your money on a watercooler, particularly an H60. A 30 dollar air cooler is going to provide plenty of cooling for what kind of overclocks you'll be able to do. Also you're probably going to need to take the CPU out to clean off the old thermal paste anyway.
Alright I won't order it

Darren

Staff member
Also Fallout won't benefit much from a CPU overclock. That game has optimization problems that won't be cured by something like that. There are some mods on the Nexus that help with performance. Most of it has to do with shadows and textures loading in. Like mentioned before, even a 980 TI gets frame drop.

If you want a new cooler. Get a CM 212+ and see if you can squeeze a few hundred MHz out of the Phenom.

The VCR King

Well, my RAM fills up to 99% when running Fallout 4, so I'm adding another 8GB to my other slots. Buying it now.

Edit: Got another 8GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 on the way by mail :D

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Alright I won't order it
Agreed, look at tests before buying a water cooler, especially one as cheap as the H60. Just because it's a water cooler doesn't mean it's better than air cooling, there are many heatsinks that perform better than the H60 and similar kits. The H110 is on par with high end air coolers.

spirit

Staff member
Just curious because I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread: what resolution are you trying to play it?

If I remember correctly most 6950s were 1GB and there may have been some 2GB models, but just for the record I have a GTX 760 4GB and when I max Just Cause 3 out at 1080p the game is using about 3-3.5GB of my v-RAM. I haven't got Fallout 4 but I imagine it's a similar story, so a 1GB or 2GB card doesn't cut it these days for maxing out the latest titles at 1080p I'm afraid. You want a new card with at least 3GB of RAM to even begin to think about maxing it. I would personally go for a 4GB card, maybe something along the lines of a GTX 960/R9 280X or a GTX 970/R9 390. I reckon if you got a newer card even if you keep your existing CPU and don't overclock it you will see a big performance benefit in games. Remember that the 6950 came out over 5 years ago now and it was a fairly mid-range card when it came out. It was a GTX 560 Ti rival!

And having two 6950s in CrossFire doesn't double the video memory.

Last edited:

lovely?

Definitely plenty of 6950 2gb's out there, and if you can find the modified bios (not all of them had a switch) then you can turn your card into a 6970, with little work.