Cant seem to overclock my card

Gravite

I ve been trying and trying but everytime i set my mhz. it always goes back to the default frequency. Any idea why?

jamesy

Your card is probably locked. Google around for a way to unlock it. Its pretty easy to unlock I think.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
They can't be locked. Certain cards have disabled pipelines, of which the process of re-enabling is often referred to as "unlocking", but other than that no.

Geoff

VIP Member
It is not locked, what program are you using?

I wouldn't be surprised if you are forgetting to apply the settings, or save them so it saves the settings on startup.

Gravite

i am using river tuner and i set it as start up with the overclocked value but when i restart it. the speed is still same

Freestylingford

It will always go back to defaults once you log out of windows unless you have saved the settings you change and then check the box that says startup with windows. You also might want to try starting up riva tuner itself via registry Key that could do it. I have never had the problem your having using riva tuner. if you have everything marked and checked and all then I would just take the time to delete my drivers and rivatuner and install all of it new and see what happens.

Gravite

ya i think like some1 said in previous post that this thing is locked. I try overclocking it with another program but everytime i do it, it just goes back to default.

Geoff

VIP Member
ya i think like some1 said in previous post that this thing is locked. I try overclocking it with another program but everytime i do it, it just goes back to default.
The 8600GTS is not locked. If you raise the speeds with RivaTuner, click "Apply", and the video card is running at those speeds before restarting Windows, then the problem is the new speeds aren't being set after startup. Check msconfig to make sure that the RivaTuner process isn't disabled.

Geoff

VIP Member
btw my card is running at like 53c right now. What temp should i overclock it to?
Generally the temperature won't rise too much when you are only raising the speeds, the major temp increase occurs when the voltage is raised.

I would however monitor the temps when it's overclocked after playing games just to verify that it doesn't get too hot. I would try and keep it under 75C, although it varies greatly with different cards.

Gravite

for some reason i still cant get my card overclock. It keeps changing back to default settings even though it says it will change to my overclocked frequency at startup. And i enabled Rivertuner at registry startup setting.

Geoff

VIP Member
for some reason i still cant get my card overclock. It keeps changing back to default settings even though it says it will change to my overclocked frequency at startup. And i enabled Rivertuner at registry startup setting.
Have you tried using another program such as ATI Tool?

And you didn't answer one of my questions, when you overclock it from within RivaTuner, does it actually stay overclocked before the computer is restarted?