can't transfer files over network - win7 -> win7

zaroba

about to do a major hardware upgrade on one of the win7 PCs in the house (will call it PC A), pretty much building a new computer so expecting to have to do a reinstall of the os like i did when upgrading my gaming pc (which will be PC B ). trying to backup important files on PC A by copying them over the network to PC B but am so far unsuccessful.

both computers are running 64bit win7 ultimate.
both can see each other and access each others shares fine.
just can't copy files over.

trying to copy the files from PC A to one of the slave drives on PC B
on both PCs: the drives are shared, network discovery is on, password protected sharing is off, file and printer sharing is on.
also tried going directly to the folder on PC B and setting the permissions so that 'everyone' had 'full control'

i don't see anything that would cause an issue. yet when i am on PC A trying to copy files to PC B it says that i need permission to copy the files.

anybody have any ideas?

if possible, i'd rather fix the problem so i could send them from PC A to PC B instead of having to copy everything to the public documents folder in PC A and using PC B to grab them.

tremmor

Suspect its a firewall and ports not open. Close temporary the virus programs on both computers then try.
Have to start somewhere. It will be related to a firewall whether a router, internal or a virus firewall built into windows.

Last edited: