Can't update windows to newer version

ANNR

Windows update constantly fails to install windows version 1909. it gets to 100% and fails.

I got latest version of windows and try to install, i got the following picture.

Untitled.png

Anybody know what's the cause and how to fix it?

thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is most likely a hardware issue as far as support goes for version 1909. When they fix the issue, you will get the upgrade.

2004 is actually the latest version of 10 with 20H2 having a slow rollout to users. Have you tried actually going here and click on update now?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then there is an update block in place stopping the upgrade. You'll just have to wait until they fix the issue. Probably the only way to bypass this is to do a fresh install with the latest version, but I can't guarantee it since I haven't came across any update blocks. I've been trying to find an article listing the update blocks for 1909 but can't find it. I'll post back if I find it.

salvage-this

I had an error similar to that a few months back. Oddly enough, my nvidia drivers were out of date and once I updated those the update ran without an issue. I can't seem to find anyone else that had the same solution, so it might be random that it worked for me.

DavidG

I would agree with @johnb35 most likely there is a setting blocking the upgrade, and a clean install would almost certainly work.
Check this link that offers various solutions

the other tool that I have successfully used was tweaking.com, windows repair-all in-one

Last edited: