Can't use USB thumb drives...

jgoff14

Awhile back I was copying files to my thumb drive and it was fine. I ejected, removed, and then remembered I needed one more so I put it back in but the drive wasn't listed. It was listed in device manager but I couldn't see it in my computer. When I plugged it in, Windows played the new device sound so I know it found it. I right clicked on it in device manager and scanned for HW changes, and bam, it popped up. When I click on it (H drive) it freezes instantly. If I right click on it that causes a freeze too, after a few attempts I can right click, go to properties and it says 0/0 bytes available. I can not format, it just never does anything. I plugged it in to my wife's mac, and it works, I can access the pictures on my tv fine, I have tried all my USB ports and still no luck. (I do have a 500gb EX HD that does work in all the ports...) The drive I have is SanDisk Cruzer 32GB, fyi. So I just got back from WalMart and bought a new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB(only brand and model they had) and it does the same thing, NEVER USED... I can access it on the mac, on windows it says 0/0bytes. I can't open disk management it just says accessing virtual disk (or something similar) and the window stays grey. I rebooted in safemode w/ networking and THE DAMN THING WORKS! I am so furious about this. Not just that I'm having trouble but that it works in EVERY configuration except the one that is "normal" for me. I have never had a problem with this or any other flash drive before so PLEASE help before I have a mental breakdown and wind up in the nut house over a flash drive. :D

Jeremy

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
If multiple drives don't work but they do on another computer, you've got a motherboard issue. Your drivers may have gotten corrupted. Go to manufacturers website and redownload the motherboard drivers.

jgoff14

Thanks for the advise I will check that soon. Would I be looking for all motherboard drivers, or just USB drivers or something else specific? I'll check USB drivers first.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Uninstall all usb drivers in device manager and reboot the system. If you have a usb mouse, it will stop it from working. You will need to use a ps2 mouse in order to continue using your system until it reboots.