Can't use Windows 7 & 8.1 on new PC's - This isn't a joke?

storp

Couldn't swallow this one. Especially since I bought a version of 7 in 2014 knowing full well that I would be putting together a new box within a year or two. At the time, I double-checked that I would be able to transfer from the older pc on to a newer system (by calling them).

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...t-support-windows-10-new-hardware-itbwcw.html

This is one of those times that common sense yells out. About how this can only be a violation of the software terms, when MS so clearly states end of life support until January 2020:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

You mean to tell me there were stipulations for a party buying 7/8.1 particularly being exempted from getting the usage through this stated life cycle?

The other thing is, are they so foolish as to feed greed for trying to cut off older Office applications/similar as well?

Last edited:

aldan

are you kidding??ms has done this since windows 95.comes a time when new pcs ship with the new os.as for cutting off older office programs,i use office 2000 premium on my windows 10 and it works just fine.if you want windows 7 you can get it and it does come with support until 2020.maybe im missing something here?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I'd have to look more into that, but at first glance, somethings not right. First, it's an Opinion piece. There are way too many '...' mid-paragraph in that article, suggest things were intentionally left out.

If that article were true, then if I were to build a new setup system next year (which I'll probably do), utilizing entirely new components then did a fresh install of 7, it would fail. I find that pretty hard to swallow.

spirit

Staff member
I'd have to look more into that, but at first glance, somethings not right. First, it's an Opinion piece. There are way too many '...' mid-paragraph in that article, suggest things were intentionally left out.

If that article were true, then if I were to build a new setup system next year (which I'll probably do), utilizing entirely new components then did a fresh install of 7, it would fail. I find that pretty hard to swallow.
Yeah I can't believe it either, unless after this date of July 2017 Windows 7 simply stops working on your Skylake system. How do they plan to do that? Or maybe they just won't offer any support for you if you are running 7 on a Skylake system which seems odd.

DMGrier

VIP Member
This has been talked about in the IT community and I am honestly surprised about the shock everyone is going through on the Win 7 part....

We seen this on here before, when Windows 7 launched due to the success the amount of driver support for XP became non-existent. I remember a lot of people bringing up driver support problems for XP and the response was it is time to move to Windows 7, so confusing on everyone being surprised.

Windows 8.1 i guess not very surprising either when you consider market share, why would you build a driver for a product that was not very successful and I am sure due to the dislike of Windows 8.x in general many people are excepting the free Windows 10 upgrade which makes the market even smaller. Yet again who builds drivers for a product not in use.

Whether you like it or not Windows 10 is the next big release from M$ that people are embracing, well kind of. Many clients I deal with did not understand what the upgrade meant and many that I deal with are not a big fan due to the cluttered start menu, Cortana,the wonderful (cough, cough) Edge Browser and those who are good about there updates that find out a upgrade was in there and wait 30 minutes for a Windows upgrade that will happen anywhere from 2-4 times a year now. Not to mention it is still very unsure what this "Windows as a Service" means, speculation even in the Windows community feels a fee will be required to get updates on a yearly basis.

Not trying to rant but Windows 10 has been nothing but a headache in enterprise...

Laquer Head

So there might be a yearly fee starting this summer when the Windows 10 1 year free honeymoon period is over????

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They thought that originally but Microsoft confirmed that anyone that upgrades to 10 before July 29th 2016 would get the OS free for the life of the machine. Anybody not uograding before the date will have to pay to get 10.

Laquer Head

Presumably then, even if you have to buy at end of the 1 year period..you'd get updates included going forward. I thought it was gonna be some snakey scheme like its free...then on July 29, 2016 we all gotta start paying a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

Agent Smith

Windows 7 will work on a Skylake CPU. The problem that I know of is the USB ports with Win 7 and Skylake. You have to install the OS via CD, not USB. Although there is a workaround where you could use the latest Linux Mint and install your USB drivers so I've heard.

When I get my Skylake CPU I plan on using my current Win 7 install using sysprep. Then before I do that I will copy all the drivers to my second HDD and use a PS/2 mouse to install the drivers after I install the current Win 7 SSD to the new motherboard. BTW, sysprep only works with the same mother board manufacture. Which is fine by me since I'm staying with Gigabyte. It's worth a shot as I don't really want to reinstall everything, especially my 50 GB of Flight Simulator. Huge PITA. If it doesn't work I'll just install from CD and use my backup clone of my files.

Beyond that. Yeah, M$ can blow me. It will be a cold day in hell before I go Winblows 10. I hope the hell they make a Winblows 11 and strip the privacy invasion out of it. Although, I've read that Win 10 is the last OS from M$ and will just get updates.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Microsoft is now pushing updates and upgrades...

The Updates are what we are used too, security patches and some bug fixes.

The Upgrades on the other hand will be coming out 2-4 times a year which will include large changes and features. You will have that Upgrade with support for 12 months and then you have to install the next upgrade. So for example in November we got the Windows 10 "1511" upgrade, I do not have to run another upgrade for 12 months and I will come continue to get security patches. In November of 2016 I better install the latest upgrade or I lose security support.

Microsoft is going for a more OS X like approach in releases, ever notice how long apple has been on version 10? That will be Windows, Windows 10 build number 10.xxxxxx.

As I see the concern by support eventually being dropped for Win7 I think on this subject more of a concern in vendors keeping up with Microsoft upgrade process. I from time to time run Win 10 on my laptop and have a tone of issues for the graphics driver for my Iris Pro 5200 graphics, constant crashing which I never had a problem in Windows 8.1.