Capacitors

skyblue

Hi all, just a quick query.

When removing a component from a computer which has had a recent electrical charge running through the system, how do you remove the said component without receiving a shock from the capacitors?

Is there a way you safely discharge the capacitor beforehand?

Thank you.

Aastii

VIP Member
Hi all, just a quick query.

When removing a component from a computer which has had a recent electrical charge running through the system, how do you remove the said component without receiving a shock from the capacitors?

Is there a way you safely discharge the capacitor beforehand?

Thank you.

It isn't a problem.

When you are installing/removing components, unplug the power cable from the system and wait for the little LED on the motherboard to go out. Make sure you either wear an antistatic wristband, or you touch the bare metal of the case to discharge yourself before you touch any components, then you are safe to work with the system without getting any kind of shock or damaging the components

Geoff

VIP Member
Which component are you talking about? On motherboards there are usually LED's that will drain whatever power is left in the capacitors after being unplugged. The only other component I can think of that would have this issue is the video card, but I've never been shocked by anything inside a computer when it's unplugged.

skyblue

Hi, thanks for your replies.

As to what component, I was just asking generally.

I remember, remember quite well, a shock I received from a camera capacitor when I was a kid, I was unaware that the charge is drained by the motherboard.

I was under the impression that they may have needed to have been drained manually so to speak.

Aastii

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1470083 said:
Which component are you talking about? On motherboards there are usually LED's that will drain whatever power is left in the capacitors after being unplugged. The only other component I can think of that would have this issue is the video card, but I've never been shocked by anything inside a computer when it's unplugged.

To ease your mind further, I know it is bad practice, but I've touched components while the system is on, checking temps from touch and what not, and never got any kind of shock, so even plugged in, they pose such a miniscule risk of ever harming you through an electric shock

Glliw

Most components on a computer are going to be so small in terms of physical size, that any single capacitor won't have enough charge built up for you to even feel. Capacitance is a physical property. They also don't discharge through their walls, only through the leads in and out of them, since they are insulated.

You have nothing to worry about.

skyblue

Most components on a computer are going to be so small in terms of physical size, that any single capacitor won't have enough charge built up for you to even feel. Capacitance is a physical property. They also don't discharge through their walls, only through the leads in and out of them, since they are insulated.

You have nothing to worry about.

Hey, it was more of a worry regarding damaging the board than a shock to myself, although obviously I do not want an electric shock!

I was slightly worried, as everyone is well aware of the damage static electricity can, and does do.

It is refreshing to know there are no worries to behold whilst performing maintenance and upgrades. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
To ease your mind further, I know it is bad practice, but I've touched components while the system is on, checking temps from touch and what not, and never got any kind of shock, so even plugged in, they pose such a miniscule risk of ever harming you through an electric shock
I also build PC's on carpet, never had an issue. I just touch the case.

kdfresh09

to the OP, i believe what would make sense would be to unplug the computer from wall, wait about 10 sec, then press the power button on the computer. this will discharge any remaining charge left in the capacitors.

sirsaechao

I just feed my Flux Capacitor some trash and it takes me back to the future. LOL. I pull the power cord and hit the power button to drain all the power.

skyblue

Further to this thread, to save creating another I have two rather basic questions.

Are all components HDMI compliant, meaning the high end components made today? Or are there additional 'add-on's' I understand a blu-ray drive is needed.

Wi-fi, again is this already build into where they need to be, so to speak? Or are additional components needed?

Thank you :)

Aastii

VIP Member
Further to this thread, to save creating another I have two rather basic questions.

Are all components HDMI compliant, meaning the high end components made today? Or are there additional 'add-on's' I understand a blu-ray drive is needed.

Wi-fi, again is this already build into where they need to be, so to speak? Or are additional components needed?

Thank you :)

If your computer has a HDMI or DVI output, it is HDMI comatible. If it does not you can get a graphics card with the correct outputs. You can play downloaded HD videos or blurays through it then

If you need wifi, some (few) motherboards come with it built in. If it doesn't you can get a wireless card that will allow you to connect to wifi spots and the internet

bomberboysk

You guys are getting it wrong, its not the size of the capacitor that is going to give you a "shock", but rather the voltage that that capacitor is holding. Computers mainly operate off of the +12v dc rail, which 12v is really not enough to break human skin(~50v is required to feel it on bare, non-moist skin, however if skin is broken, even a 9v battery has enough current to kill you). Something like a camera flash as mentioned earlier has a step up transformer that increases voltage to somewhere around 400vdc, which is plenty to feel through the skin and plenty of current held to give a nice jolt, and can potentially cause heart issues in some people(any type of high voltage or high current can do that though, as the heart is a muscle). So, in reflection, voltage hurts, amperage kills.

linkin

VIP Member
^ So in other words, you're going to want to unplug the computer from main power, and hold the power button until the Mobo LED goes out, if you don't have an LED just hold it for 10-15 seconds and that should do it.

bomberboysk

^ So in other words, you're going to want to unplug the computer from main power, and hold the power button until the Mobo LED goes out, if you don't have an LED just hold it for 10-15 seconds and that should do it.

No, motherboards capacitors aren't going to be more than about 12v, not enough to feel. Unless of course you are handling stuff with bare flesh, which you shouldnt be working with components in that case anyhow...

Geoff

VIP Member
No, motherboards capacitors aren't going to be more than about 12v, not enough to feel. Unless of course you are handling stuff with bare flesh, which you shouldnt be working with components in that case anyhow...
Everyone handles computer components with bare flesh, unless you were referring to the components that make up computer parts.

2048Megabytes

I have one point that hasn't been added. If a power supply unit is opened it can shock you because of the capacitors that it has inside. I have never yet attempted to open a power supply for this reason.

bomberboysk

[-0MEGA-];1470542 said:
Everyone handles computer components with bare flesh, unless you were referring to the components that make up computer parts.

No, bare FLESH, not skin, skin is a natural insulator of sorts that will insulate to about ~50vdc or so.