Capturing stills from video.

Pretorius

Hi,

What I want to be able to do seems fairly simple. I want to be able to play a video on my PC, whether from DVD or from an avi/mpg file on my harddrive, and capture still images from it.

The snapshots kept coming out as solid black.

I figured out that this was because of 'hardware acceleration'. I turned that off in WMP and was able to capture stills, BUT I was suddenly unable to move to any given point in the video when it was played from the harddrive.

Surely this can't be so complicated.

I've been using SnagIt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pretorius

No, that's not working. I'm still just getting running video that becomes a solid black rectangle when I close the media player.

For the amount of stills I see all over the internet this process can't possibly be so difficult.

Pretorius

Thank you! That's working. Is there any way to capture them in a higher resolution? They're quite small by default.

PC eye

banned
Faststone is not something like PowerDVD or WMP where you can always grab stills from everything especially when you are running it full screen. Once you press the hot key you have to save each capture individually to a folder. It just makes it possible to grab screens that other program fail to do.

In pc games someone pointed me to GameCam and GameCam Lite that records video clips while in a game. You then take stills while reviewing them in what else? Powerdvd in bmp format unilt using some program like Irfanview to open a bmp or png file to save as a jpg. Or WMP.

Some programs or utilities do allow for a few different resolutions only. Since there are only so many standardized you have a limit there unfortunately. I know it's annoying to see a small square making stills from GameCam in XP and posted a corner of a window type size rather a normal looking full screen.