Card damaged for good?

JamesC

So I got this 9600 about 7 months ago (new) and it worked perfect for about 3 months. It has a fan, which works fine too.

After 3 months I started getting artifacting and weird green pixel clusters in some spots. I would shut down the machine, take the card out then put it back in a few minutes later. The problem went away and all was good.
Sometimes I would have to reinstall the drivers, but it would eventually start working again.

Normally I leave my PC running (usually reboot once every couple of weeks), but when I would reboot, the problem would come back and I would have to repeat the procedure mentioned above.

This went on for about 3-4 months. Recently however, it has been doing this and nothing will fix it.

I reinstalled Windows and before I did anything else, I installed the video drivers. When the computer booted up, the ATI control center would throw an error and would crash. This was with a fresh install of windows and video drivers.

I am sure it's not a temperature problem since I could play Warcraft all day long without problems, and I am pretty sure it's not a power problem.

Here's the important part: the graphic problems only occur in rendered programs, like ones that use DirectX/OpenGL (All games, Google Earth etc...) but nothing else. I can use Windows, applications, all of my graphics programs, and even play browser games (flash, java etc..)

So I think maybe one of the capacitors, resistors, or a specific component responsible for rendering these specific programs is damaged. I have ruled out temperature, power, and drivers.

What do you guys think?

Here is a screenshot:
http://www.casualscience.net/etc/bork.JPG

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Sounds and looks like your typical failing card. The problems usually appear in games. A few times they'll mess up elsewhere, but typically games.

JamesC

Figured that. It sucks not being able to play games, and I don't want to use onboard video because I have dual monitors set up and I couldn't live without it.

I'd get a new card, but I think I should wait until a new computer anyway, as this one is about 3-4 years old.