cascading failures

Hi,

Recently while using my I7 powered Asus TP500LN with win 8.1 and 8 gig of ram I noticed that a lot of the time when I went to open a folder from the desktop via the icon on the bottom of the screen I'de double click on it, the screen would go black for a second or two, then purple then go back to the normal desktop and occassionally I'd have to repeat this three or four times before I could get any actual files up.

As this event seem to be increasing I decided that I should reinstall windows 8.1 again and after playing around for a while I discovered that the machine was Auto boot but I was able after a while to reinstall 8.1 again, much to my disappointment however it just put a new copy of windows on the machine and made the previous setup an old version, this alleviated the black screen scenario mentioned above but seems too have created more issues than before, I have reinstalled the latest drivers for the printer/scanner and microscope that I use, I have updated internet explorer and firefox/thunderbird to current versions but to no avail – I cannot print/scan or use the microscope when I want to, neither can I send any attachments or forward an email and to add insult to injury if I go to a forum as I do most days I can read the posts but afterwards if I want to respond or create a post I log on, type my message then post it only to have the forum tell me I haven't logged in.

I personally think that these issues are related to the fact that there are two copies of windows on the HDD conflicting with each other.

Has anyone got any thoughts as to how I may get rid of these issues and how can I get a clean install on my C drive?

Thanks

Well I'll be blowed this is the first time since these events started that it actually worked!!!

_Pete_

Did you boot your computer from the installation media? (USB pen drive or DVD) If you did then you should be able to delete all the partitions that Windows puts on your hard drive and then create a brand new installation without any old installs clouding the issue. You will need to set the first boot drive to either boot from a DVD or a USB pen drive in the BIOS or hitting the F12 key at initial boot up and then selecting the appropriate drive to boot from. Be aware that if you do this then all your personal files and programs will be lost and, possibly, not all the appropriate drivers will be installed.

Thanks for the info, after having tried all the “regular” keys and everything went straight to windows I got it to load from an external DVD player, the only way to get this machine to boot from an external device is to plug the external device in then turn the power on with f2 depressed, there are no options what so ever in the bios to make any adjustments.