Case fan problems

WingedWombat

Ok, so here's my problem: I recently bought a case from PC Club, heres a link to where you can look at specs and pics

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1330510

I also bought some case fans, just normal 80x80x25mm led case fans (XG Extreme Gamer ACFA 4LED-XBG) to put in it. Unfortunately, this is my first time building a computer and I can not figure out how to install them. More specifically, the holes on the case are bigger than the screws that came with the fans, and the 2 front fan ports have a small cylinder coming up maybe 4 mm with some wires in sticking out which are labeled speaker, so there must be a speaker right there, but unfortunately this cylinder is right in the middle, blocking both from getting to there screw holes and I can't figure out how to put either of those fans in the right position (not to mention the fact that the fan grills that came with the fans won't fit on the fan if they're over the honeycomb because the drive bays are in the way). Also, I don't know anything about fans, are the holes generally unthreaded when the fans come (it looks like my screws are self-threading, but I'm not totally sure)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4W4K3

VIP Member
well to use fan-grills you have to cut out the honeycombs. almost all case fans ship unthreaded (pain in the butt) so you gotta use the screws to thread them which for me is pretty hard. i'd have to see what your problem is to help, i cant read and visualize something that tedious. sry. someone else will ocme along and help ya though im sure.

mikelx21

The reason that the fans don't come threaded (allowing you to do it with the screws) is because of vibration control. They make the fan hole slightly smaller than the screws so that when you put them in, it will have a tighter fit thus cutting down on the vibration and movement of the fan, which causes extra noise 'n' stuff...I think that is what you were asking.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
just normal 80x80x25mm
25mm = low profile, 38mm = normal :)

Unfortunately, this is my first time building a computer and I can not figure out how to install them
Screw them in or use twist ties :)

More specifically, the holes on the case are bigger than the screws that came with the fans
Nuts and bolts?

are the holes generally unthreaded when the fans come
Generally yes, at least for chassis fans.

it looks like my screws are self-threading
Wrong screws.

well to use fan-grills you have to cut out the honeycombs
You do? :confused:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:

on my case i did. first the honeycombs restrict about 70-80% of the actual airflow, then putting a grill on them, would just add like another 5%. i never really got the point of using a grill, if you already have something on top of the fan. i cut all mine out and then put grills on them.