Case Modding

linkin

VIP Member
I want to put a window in my case, seeing as i'm too cheap to buy a case with a window in it. Of course it's going on the left side. The case has this shape on it that looks like a square thats had its sides pushed in and the edges have all been rounded. I'm thinking of cutting that shape out out and superglueing a panel of acrylic to it... is it as simple as that? I'll also put a space for a 120mm intake fan.

What will i need in terms of tools and materials? I've never done a case mod before.

Russian777

I want to put a window in my case, seeing as i'm too cheap to buy a case with a window in it. Of course it's going on the left side. The case has this shape on it that looks like a square thats had its sides pushed in and the edges have all been rounded. I'm thinking of cutting that shape out out and superglueing a panel of acrylic to it... is it as simple as that? I'll also put a space for a 120mm intake fan.

What will i need in terms of tools and materials? I've never done a case mod before.

Hey, yeah its pretty simple, you will need a dremel. Draw out a shape that you would like. Use the dremel. And either screw it down or superglue it down. They sell plexiglass at lowes.

Bodaggit23

Double sided tape could also work to fasten the acrylic.

Also, you might want to find some rubber molding for
around the cut out area as it will probably be sharp
after the mod.

linkin

VIP Member
The shape is already indented into the panel... looks easy to cut out... what is a dremel? Is it necessary or does it just make it easier? Looks like i could do it with tin snips.
Also, any advice on mounting a fan? Dust covers, grills etc.

I can file down and paint the sharp edges, i have a nice industrial file in my box of tools... it's actually called a bastard file... :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
This is a Dremel...They are wonderful for cutting. I crank mine up and it just slides through the metal. Very easy to operate also. You can see some of my cuts on my computer from the link in my sig.

http://www.dremel.com/en-au/Tools/Pages/default.aspx

About fan filters...this may sound weird but try it. I took a pair of black pantyhose from my wife and cut it up. I use that as fan filters. It gives very little air resistance and it is woven very tight so even the small dust can not get in. It works great:D Even after a month or so...I have very little dust in my rig, almost nothing!

linkin

VIP Member
It won't be good for my rep at school to walk into a ladies undergrarment store and buy something, will it... ;)

linkin

VIP Member
Anyway, back on topic please. Will tin snips do instead of a dremel? It might be hard, but i'd rather hard work than having to splurge more money. :D

Krysis

No tin snips will fail, also don't glue instead use Scotch Brand #4010 for keeping your acrylic to your computer. Its the tape of the gods. The dremel is used to make the initial cut then move to a jigsaw. Another word of advice when your cutting it out put painters tape all over the side you are cutting so it wont get scratched and cut on a cardboard box.

linkin

VIP Member
mm, thanks. i will definately cover the edges while i glue the acrylic. Scratches are FTL.
What colour should i do the inside of my case? Blue, Green or Red? I can get all the coloured fans and case lights i need.

Russian777

hey, just go out and buy a dremel, finish your project. And return it back to the store. It will be perfect and precise with a dremel. and straight and even. And paint the inside of your case blue. Clear coat it like crazy.

0008059602638_500X500.jpg

linkin

VIP Member
Yes, of course. And i don't want to scratch the acrylic either.
I wonder if my dad has a dremel... he probably does.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
hey, just go out and buy a dremel, finish your project. And return it back to the store. It will be perfect and precise with a dremel. and straight and even. And paint the inside of your case blue. Clear coat it like crazy.

I mean lights, not paint. If i had a choice, I'd spraypaint the whole case inside and out flat black. but my parents don't trust me with spraypaint.

Russian777

I mean lights, not paint. If i had a choice, I'd spraypaint the whole case inside and out flat black. but my parents don't trust me with spraypaint.

just dont forget to apply a couple of coats of clear coat!!! or the paint will start cracking and peeling off. and put blue led's in your case!!!

linkin

VIP Member
Ok guys: Bad news.

Can't put a window in the case because parents won't let me. :( "too many dangerous tools"

Good news:

I have bought a 140mm fan and grill, and will install that instead.. :)

Any advice on cutting a hole for the fan? I'll drill the holes for the grill, and cut a circle in that the exact shape of the fan so it isnt too big or too small. Then screw the fan and grill on.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Any advice on cutting a hole for the fan? I'll drill the holes for the grill, and cut a circle in that the exact shape of the fan so it isnt too big or too small. Then screw the fan and grill on.

You can either use a dremel or a hole saw.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Making the hole in the side panel:
1) You can use a dremel (or other rotary tool) but I find it easier with a jigsaw, takes less time.
2) With a metal file, remove all metal residue and make sure the cut is clean.
41uWPFAlTuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Cutting the window:
1) This is the easiest step. Take a ruler and cut with a cutter or some other work knife, like an electrician's knife, something very sharp. You don't have to cut it all the way, just make a line/mark on the plastic, then simply bend and break, it will break along the mark/line.
418W3ABEJ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Installing window:
1) Apply some kind of window molding or the so-called "U-Channel"
http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html
2) Install using this tape, which you can find in this link or in stores like Office Depot/Max... Maybe in Home Depot. Scotch #4010
http://www.mnpctech.com/scotch_4010_tape_of_the_casemod_gods.html

Enjoy