CAT6 connectors

PcGk

I just made a run of CAT6 through my entire house....-For the past 2 hours, I am trying to attach the connectors (rj45). It is ridiculous, everytime I slide the wires in, they either crimp or move out of order....can someone shed some light on this and give me some tips so I can get this connected?

jgotfire

When I do them I pull the outer insulation back about 1” get the wires in the right order and slide them in. I’m thinking that you don’t have much of the wire exposed to work with them.

Calibretto

VIP Member
get them all in order and hold them tightly together with your thumb and forefinger. Slide them into the jack. It's pretty much trial and error. Make sure though when you go to crimp the jack, that you crimp the insulator as well and not the wires.

PcGk

get them all in order and hold them tightly together with your thumb and forefinger. Slide them into the jack. It's pretty much trial and error. Make sure though when you go to crimp the jack, that you crimp the insulator as well and not the wires.

Thanks, I did it, but the wire is dead. When I look in the connector, it seems that the wires are in the right order, but I get nothing.

PcGk

Can I buy a short cat6 cable and cut it in half and then splice it onto either end of the wire I ran?

Black6

I like to strip the outer cover back a couple of inches, carefully straighten each strand, line them up correctly and tight to each other, and then cut all of the ends evenly. Carefully slide it into the connector and then make sure you cram it in the last little bit.

Works perfectly and I have never had to redo one.