CCleaner v2.35.1219

ErikAlbert

That doesn't bother me because these users have a different setup, than mine.
I know Peter, he uses FD-ISR in a total different way, than I do.
In the end Peter banned me from Wilders, because I didn't agree with him.
Returnil is not FD-ISR. Returnil is virtual, FD-ISR is not virtual.

Last edited:

lubo4444

Either way, if this "golden reboot" is perfect like you said, everybody by now would have been using it. But really, you are the only person that i know that uses it. I had my old pc with no problems for probably 4-5 years without any anti-virus software on it and i never had any problems with it. I changed the OS after 4-5 years because i switched to Win XP Pro instead of the Win XP Home version that i had. At the end it all depends on the user. I took really good care of the PC and that's why i probably never had any problems with it. :)

ErikAlbert

Either way, if this "golden reboot" is perfect like you said, everybody by now would have been using it. But really, you are the only person that i know that uses it. I had my old pc with no problems for probably 4-5 years without any anti-virus software on it and i never had any problems with it. I changed the OS after 4-5 years because i switched to Win XP Pro instead of the Win XP Home version that i had. At the end it all depends on the user. I took really good care of the PC and that's why i probably never had any problems with it. :)
Nobody uses it, of course they don't use it, isn't that logical.
Every average user sticks to the classical way of installing a computer, because they don't know anything else and they don't want to know either, because they are afraid of trying something new. That's human nature.
Of course they disapprove my golden reboot, they don't know what it is and how it works.
It's too new, so it can't be good.

Last edited:

lubo4444

Every average user sticks to the classical way of installing a computer, because they don't know anything else and they don't want to know either, because they are afraid of trying something new. That's human nature.
Of course they disapprove my golden reboot, they don't know what it is and how it works.

Use whatever suits you. :) I really dont have anything against it.

lucasbytegenius

Now, I heard from a forum that gets tip offs from MS employees that Win8 will have some sort of setup where if you get a virus or want to reinstall Windows, you won't need a disc and all you have to do is run a wizard and your files and settings are backed automatically, the system is restored from an image (not System Restore, mind you) much like the way FD-ISR works, and then all the files, programs, yes, programs and settings are restored and the system is exactly like it was before only no glitch or virus. And all automatically. But unless your using your setup (ErickAlbert's "Golden Reboot") for dedicated internet usage, it isn't very efficient to say the least. Now, let me get this straight: every time, every time, you restart your computer the Golden Reboot happens? Or can you change whether or not it happens on reboot, depending on the issue? And does it back up settings and such before the image restoration?

ErikAlbert

FD-ISR is a very versatile ISR-software and allows you to work with two kinds of snapshots
1. normal snapshot = a classical installed disk-C
2. frozen snapshot = a frozen disk-C, that doesn't allow any change.
You can go upto 10 bootable snapshots, but only one snapshot can be frozen.
All bootable snapshot are stored on disk-C and nowhere else.
Each snapshot can be archived, which are called archived snapshots.
The number of archived snapshots is unlimited and can be stored on internal and/or external harddisks.

My golden reboot is based on a frozen snapshot.
First you have to create an archived snapshot, that contains a clean system.
After each reboot (cold or warm) my actual snapshot = archived snapshot, so I have my clean system back.
I know already that you don't like this, but there is another way.

This method is based on two normal snapshots.
1. Actual snapshot = a classical installed disk-C, which you use for daily activities.
2. Rescue snapshot = a classical installed disk-C, which you use when the actual snapshot needs to be restored.
In the very beginning Actual snapshot = Rescue snapshot, both are equal at that time.

I will try to explain it as simple as possible with a few examples.

A. Suppose you test a new software in the Actual snapshot and you don't like it, you want to get rid of it completely.
You reboot in the Rescue snapshot
Then you copy/update from Rescue Snapshot to Actual Snapshot.
Then you reboot in the Actual snapshot and the new software is gone without a trace.

B. Suppose you test a new software in the Actual Snapshot and you like it and want to keep it.
Then you copy/update from Actual Snapshot to Rescue Snapshot.
The Rescue snapshot is now updated and ready to rescue you again, when needed

C. Suppose you test a new software in the Actual Snapshot and that new software causes so much trouble that it corrupts your Actual Snapshot.
You reboot in the Rescue snapshot
Then you delete the Actual Snapshot
Then you copy/update from Rescue Snapshot to new snapshot (with the name Actual Snapshot)
Then you reboot in Actual snapshot and you are back in business.

D. Suppose you want to learn a new firewall, but you don't want to do this in your Actual Snapshot.
You copy/update from Actual Snapshot to new snapshot (with the name Firewall Snapshot).
You reboot in Firewall snapshot
You uninstall the actual firewall and install the new firewall.
Now you have time enough to learn the new firewall.

E. Suppose you want to play a game, but you don't want that game in the Actual Snapshot.
You copy/update from Actual snapshot to Game Snapshot.
You reboot to Game Snapshot
You uninstall all the software you don't need and you install the game.
You can also optimize Windows to run the game better.
Now you have a separate snapshot to play your game

There is another method, which is similar to the previous method.
The main difference is that the Rescue snapshot is replaced with an archived Rescue snapshot.

I hope you understand how it works, it's closer to you, than a frozen snapshot.
There is so much to tell about FD-ISR, but this post is not a manual.

The BAD news is that FD-ISR isn't sold anymore, because it wasn't a commercial success.
You can use FD-ISR in different ways, which is good but at the same time very confusing for average users.
That was the main reason, why FD-ISR wasn't a commercial success, although FD-ISR was years ahead compared with other ISR-softwares.

Ihe FD-ISR Club at Wilders Security Forum was very disappointed and the owner also.
The maintenance and support continues, but only for users, who bought FD-ISR
The development has been stopped, which is a pity, because I had good ideas to improve FD-ISR.
Of course, you still can get FD-ISR on the black market websites, like most softwares ;)

Fatback

VIP Member
Still pretty much pointless. It's inconvenient, impractical, and 99% useless. If you want to test something use a VMware. There is no point doing this to your computer what so ever.

Seriously, this is you defense?

The Average user has no use for this in anyway. There is a reason people like the classical way. Ever here the saying "If something isn't broke, don't fix it"? I know exactly what it is, and how it works. BTW it isn't new it's been around for a good while now.

lucasbytegenius

It has uses apparently - VMs don't have the power of direct hardware, and they suck with gaming. His setup is inconvenient, but if this were for a kid's computer or public workstation, it would work well for that. If he didn't go around saying that his way is better and if he didn't think he was qualified to test a program that thousands of people use and spit out a conclusion made on a operating system setup that most certainly is flawed (all Windows versions have registry errors right off the bat), we would probably would try to take his idea into consideration a bit, wouldn't we? Say a virus destroyed your OS, and you needed to get back up and running quickly? Restore an image that you made previously with all the drivers and software already installed. Sure, you've got settings to reset, but you're up and running a lot quicker than if you dug out your optical storage medium and spent a day reinstalling software and getting drivers for your computer, aren't you? That's where that setup comes in handy. Not rebooting your computer everyday and having to redo things. Let's keep an open mind, guys.

TFT

VIP Member
No-one is trying to scare you, your "Golden Reboot" is not crap and it has its benefits, also your other posts are informative. It is the arrogance of your posts that is upsetting people.

You have come across as arrogant with a persistence that gets up peoples noses, your initial posts were "up in your face" type of posts and made us quite defensive. It's like having the "Jehova witnesses" knocking on your door every night in an attempt to convert you because their way is the only way, while you are halfway through eating your evening meal.

You have a system that works for you and that is good, it may be that it is better than our way but we are all different and set in our ways and no software is perfect, your way or our way. Malware is not a big deal to a lot of us as there are so many ways to get back to a workable system whether it takes a few minutes or a few hours, there's no rush, computing is a pleasure for us not a chore. It's the same when someone asks the question "Which anti-virus is best?", no-one answers from a technical point of view, the answer is whatever they have installed on their system at the time and no amount of discussion will change that (until they install something else).

As for loss of "data", if people do not back this up and it goes belly up then I/we have little patience with them either, because they are a breed that are "users" only and have no interest or technical know how. But that is also what the forum is here for, to help the uneducated knowing they will return again having not listened to the advice given them previously.

Just step back a bit, get to know us a little and aim to discuss its merits without being too pushy, you will see that we're not so bad after all.

Hard to believe but we are a friendly bunch really. although my odd sense of humour has been taken the wrong way many a time (as sarcasm or ridicule). Forums are "touchy" places where posts can be misinterpreted quite easily, I know, its happened so many times with both my posting and the reading of others.

Enjoy your stay :)

Fatback

VIP Member
It has uses apparently - VMs don't have the power of direct hardware, and they suck with gaming. His setup is inconvenient, but if this were for a kid's computer or public workstation, it would work well for that. If he didn't go around saying that his way is better and if he didn't think he was qualified to test a program that thousands of people use and spit out a conclusion made on a operating system setup that most certainly is flawed (all Windows versions have registry errors right off the bat), we would probably would try to take his idea into consideration a bit, wouldn't we? Say a virus destroyed your OS, and you needed to get back up and running quickly? Restore an image that you made previously with all the drivers and software already installed. Sure, you've got settings to reset, but you're up and running a lot quicker than if you dug out your optical storage medium and spent a day reinstalling software and getting drivers for your computer, aren't you? That's where that setup comes in handy. Not rebooting your computer everyday and having to redo things. Let's keep an open mind, guys.

Who would want to test a game on a VM? If somebody just bought a game the chances are they want to play it, not test it. I agree it would be somewhat useful for a public computer, even still it must not be, if it was every public computer would have it installed. Kids computers though, that I would disagree on. My little sister, or brother would be mad if I did it to there computers.

No I wouldn't ever consider this as a good idea for anybody. Maybe an 80 year old woman with old timers.

Any body who gets a virus, most likely doesn't know enough about computers to have a setup like this in the first place. Anybody who would know how to have a setup like this, probably knows how to use a computer correctly to not get a virus.

I'm not against making an image of your OS. I update my image every week or two. This whole golden reboot thing though is nothing. If it was then it would have went mainstream by now.

Like others have said though. If this is what floats your boat then do it.

lucasbytegenius

Yeah, we're open to your techniques, just stop being so, well, superior and opinionated about it. Maybe you should write a tech guide on how to do this or something. But the constant related thread generation is getting aggravating, the mods will see it and not be very happy about it.

InfectionZero

Man for one guy to have an opinion on these forums...

The Golden Reboot, while not practical for your typical end user, is very effective in a learning environment. This method is often used by grade schools to prevent OS damage done by kids, uninstall programs or malware installed by kids, or by some companies to reset everything to zero everyday. There's nothing wrong with a reboot process as ErikAlbert has setup, it's just not for everybody. It's a personal preference. That being said, does he really need to be 'jumped' by every poster here and told his process sucks? No, grow up.

Fatback

VIP Member
Man for one guy to have an opinion on these forums...

The Golden Reboot, while not practical for your typical end user, is very effective in a learning environment. This method is often used by grade schools to prevent OS damage done by kids, uninstall programs or malware installed by kids, or by some companies to reset everything to zero everyday. There's nothing wrong with a reboot process as ErikAlbert has setup, it's just not for everybody. It's a personal preference. That being said, does he really need to be 'jumped' by every poster here and told his process sucks? No, grow up.

Like TFT said, its not what he posted, it's how he posted it.

This thread was over. Until you felt like you needed to be a hero, and stand up for somebody. Next time just leave it be, there was no reason for you to post here. Your opinion is not need anymore.

Now it's time to unsubscribe. Good Bye Thread.

InfectionZero

Like TFT said, its not what he posted, it's how he posted it.

This thread was over. Until you felt like you needed to be a hero, and stand up for somebody. Next time just leave it be, there was no reason for you to post here. Your opinion is not need anymore.

Now it's time to unsubscribe. Good Bye Thread.

Sigh... I wish I were 18 again too. :rolleyes:

Last edited: