CD blew up in CDRW

kermit

Today the darndest thing happened to me.

I put a CD into my cdrw and the darn thing literally blew up in the drive into like over 100 pieces.

I know a kid that this happened to last year. Does anyone know why this happened and how I can get my cdrw to work again. B/C it is only 7 months old and rarely used. Its 52x24x52 if you want to know.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
This crap could happen when the cd is of low quality. I think there's 1% chance to get the cd-rw to work again (a friend of mine recovered a dvd drive after a cd-blow-up, but he was damn lucky).
If you use cheaper cds, try to reduce the spinning speed of the drive (nero drivespeed could do it).

kermit

It was a lexmark installation cd for a printer I recently purchased and it was in the cd rom after I installed.

How do you go about making repairs to the drive?

4W4K3

VIP Member
kermit said:
It was a lexmark installation cd for a printer I recently purchased and it was in the cd rom after I installed.

How do you go about making repairs to the drive?

If it's new enough return it and just say it stopped working lol. there should be some kind of a warranty.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It was a lexmark installation cd for a printer
LOL, we had a Lexmark laser printer at the office and after printing 150 pages, the printer blew up... :D
Since then I don't really trust Lexmark products. :p

kermit

Lol! Maybe I'm in for that too.

The burner isn't old but I didn't keep reciept or anything like that and don't know what company it is. I bought it from Office Max.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You're probably out of luck for returning it although yu could buy the exact same model from Office Max............ :D

[tab]

[...]
Maybe you could try writing to Lexmark and/or the manufacturer of your burner... although it's unlikely they'll help, it can't hurt to try.

ma77y

My DVD-Rom blew up on me, I think it was because the CD had a slight crack in the centre circle bit and it was a copy of XP!! After alot of cleaning up little silver bits and pulling the drive apart and together again, its ok now. The tray is a bit wonky, but it works, but no way am i trusting it with a DVD movie or anything that cost me alot of money, so its use is just for installing OS's, copied ones, certainly not proper OS's!

dave597

VIP Member
has anyone ever seen that episode of MythBusters? No.

But have you ever considered using Nero drive speed if your drive explodes often. :)