Cd-Burner Problem (please help)

Bigshow1030

Here is my situation gentleman....
I have a cd-burner that plays audio, video and games perfectly fine.....I have nero burning rom on my computer that is using windows xp.......Problem that I am having is that I put a blank cd in there and it doesn't recognize it.....keeps telling me to "place a blank cd in cd tray to initiate burning", even though there is already one in there; also, i have tried not putting a cd in there until it asks me with the same outcome(doesn't recognize it). I have tried hurrying up and putting one in there and pushing burn at the same time and it tries to start but then it stops and says no cd present.....Can someone please help me, I am just about ready to get spun in a realm of pistivity that I don't think I have ever been in before in my life :eek: :eek:

Adam Warren

well, i had that problem, but i got fed up with it and just added to a list of new things that i wanted on my new comp (the one i have now). but it could be the cd, i had a lot of f'd up blanks that were just laying around, and somehow ended back in the pile of blanks. try a diff kind of blank cd

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
so you think the problem is with the particular brand that I am using and not the cd burner itself?

It's possible.

How many drives are in your machine? You sure that Nero is pointed to the right one? (if more then one). Maybe try to uninstal nero and rienstal.

Edit:

Reading your sig I notice you have more then one drive :p. Maybe Nero is looking at the wrong drive for the disk.

Bigshow1030

thnx blue

alright......first off hand, the machine that I am having problems with is not mine: its mothers.... I got it to work fine now, it couldn't read the particular type of media I had in there. I was using memorex in it and it coudln't read it and I went to office max to get some different ones and it picked those up beautifully. Thanks to all for there thoughts and opinions.......Learned something new today :) :rolleyes:

Trukindave

Also remember that those blanks may need to be formatted, Some do some dont.. Also depends on what you are trying to burn as well..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible.
But incredibly unlikely. Like I mean ive seen a few cases of it -- after maybe 20,000 CDs but even then it wasnt some serious incompatability issues

I was using memorex in it and it coudln't read it and I went to office max to get some different ones and it picked those up beautifully
Whats the ATIP on those discs? They should be pretty standard

Also remember that those blanks may need to be formatted
Uh.... they do?

what is the easiest way to go in and format and blank cd-r
Unless you're doing packet burning (which is dumb), you dont have to (and since you're doing this via Nero you dont have to)

Bigshow1030

well thank you

that is the only time formatting a cd-r has ever been brought to my intention and that was something I definitely have never done

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah you generally dont have to worry about formatting as packet burning is retarded anyways :p