CD drive wont open

roaminggnome55

title explains most of it, but here are the specifics:
Put in a DVD (stealth), in order to watch it.
booted up WMP, WMP claimed there was nothing in the drive.
I hit the eject button to see if the disc was broken or something, and it didn't open.
My computer says "Please put a disc into drive D:" every time i try to do something with it (like open, explore, etc)
when I hit eject from My computer, nothing happens.

Help?

thanks in advance

edit: what starts with 't' and drives me nuts? typos!

StrangleHold

Staff member
title explains most of it, but here are the specifics:
Put in a DVD (stealth), in order to watch it.
booted up WMP, WMP claimed there was nothing in the drive.
I hit the eject button to see if the disc was broken or something, and it didn't open.
My computer says "Please put a disc into drive D:" every time i try to do something with it (like open, explore, etc)
when I hit eject from My computer, nothing happens.

Help?

thanks in advance

edit: what starts with 't' and drives me nuts? typos!

Reboot your computer to see if will eject them, check and make sure the power connector didnt come loose . If not the little drive belt right inside the drawer probably broke. There is a small hole in the front you can push a pin in to open the drive and get the CD out.

sg1

If not the little drive belt right inside the drawer probably broke.
Would that stop the drawer from opening then, or just the CD from spinning?

I would say loose cable first off but I usually find that once these drives start to play up- it's time to replace them ASAP !

just a noob

yeah, if you have ever watched one open/ close, that spins off a gear onto another piece causing the tray to open/close, so in short, yes the belt could cause it to not open

fade2green514

if you need to get the dvd out straighten a paper clip and insert it into the little hole on the front that'll pop it out.

as far as the dvd drive try a different cable.. possibly one that you know already works on your psu. that should at least allow you to get power to it, make sure the cable to the motherboard is plugged in correctly too, if its an ide cable make sure its set to slave or master.. whatever you have it configured under.

building computers sometimes just requires a little playing and testing. just gotta put up with it really.