CD / DVD Rom

TbS

When I click "My Computer" It doesnt show my CD Or DVD rom drive, all it shows is local disk C and floppy drive, anyone know the problem? im pretty sure they plugged in right.. anything i have to do in bios? I checked and it said it was detected so.. yeah.. I can install my Soundcard with the disk now.. anyone help me?

4W4K3

VIP Member
is the drive getting power? does it open and close correctly...just not recognized? I would assume it's a bad IDE cable, or possibly the wrong IDE Channel (try a diff one for both)

Also in the BIOS you might have it set to "disabled" for that channel or something, and you need to activate it. Search for new hardware in Windows might have it pop up as well. I've had this problem b4 on a few computers but it seems one of those steps always fixed it.

double-dragon

My old comp did this for ages..I don't know how I got by, lol.
In the end I had to get it looked at by a pro. The CD/RW had gone kaput as had the HD, which also meant we had to get windows re-installed

Geoff

VIP Member
Check to make sure that the cables are connected to the CD drive and to the motherboard. Make sure the power cables are connected and that you dont have too many devices on the IDE cable. If that doesnt work, try reformatting.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Check Master/Slave
2. Check whether or not BIOS enabled the drive
3. ASPI?
4. Does it show in Device Manager? if so, uninstall it and reboot to try and let it autoredetect