CD-ROM Errors

truescope

I feel foolish for writting to you guys once again. I feel that the CD-ROM should be one of the easiest of the hardware to deal with.

I admit that I did search throughout google for about 4 hours for a couple days. I do admit that I had to install some garbage consumer driver helpers that I do not want and will be uninstalling soon. I dislike the new style of sneaking in software over the programs that u really want. Decline, decline, decline....

I have tried using device manager to download the correct drivers but it can't seem to find the drivers that I need. I am thinking that it could be a registry issue. And I feel that the registry is the leading cause to my device manager not being able to find the correct drivers. I am shy about messing around with registry I already lost one operating system before trying to do my own thing with the registry. Don't want to go through that again.

I am trying to install a wifi USB on my old laptop to be able to pass it on to my little brother for his birthday -May 21st I'm very late.

ATAPI DVD A DH16A6L SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

Last edited:

truescope

Sorry, after reading what I wrote it does seem to be vague. I need the CD-ROM to install the new wifi usb on my computer, then I can give him the old USB that I'm was using.

I am looking for a fix for my CD-ROM. After looking at several websites I can't seem to find the proper driver, even on the manufacturers website.

truescope

So your CD drive isn't working? I'm still totally confused as to what you need. If your CD drive isn't working, try running this.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

As far as the driver for a USB wireless adapter, go onto the manufacturers website and download the latest driver for it.

Ran the fix and it read that it found a solution, my filters weren't set for CD/DVD. Still not working and still have the yellow error in device manager. Something about error:39.

I am still thinking its a registry problem.

I have gotten tons and tons of help on this forum and you are my go to guys. So I am going to forget about the obvious trolling. The thread doesn't read USB errors it reads CD-ROM errors. So please no more 'posts count fillers.'

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So your dvd drive has errors in device manager? Sometimes that auto fix program doesn't work correctly. Try doing the fix manually. Navigate to this part of the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the right hand side, right click on upper filters and click on delete. Then click on lower filters, click on delete. Exit out of registry and reboot. You should now have a cd drive available.

If you are trying to install a usb wifi device driver, tell us the make and model of the wifi device. Your thread is kinda confusing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you rebooted since applying the fix? If so, go into device manager, right click on the cdrom drive and click on uninstall and then reboot. See if it reinstalls properly.

truescope

Have you rebooted since applying the fix? If so, go into device manager, right click on the cdrom drive and click on uninstall and then reboot. See if it reinstalls properly.

We have solution! Must of been that I needed to restart after my fix. I never got a prompt though. Now I can use the driver CD that came with the wifi usb. In turn can install my old usb to my brothers new laptop for his birthday.

Computerforum never fails, u guy are awesome and very fast. Where is the donate button?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no donate button. I said in my original post that you had to reboot the system for changes to take effect. :good:

truescope

So your CD drive isn't working? I'm still totally confused as to what you need. If your CD drive isn't working, try running this.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

As far as the driver for a USB wireless adapter, go onto the manufacturers website and download the latest driver for it.

This link is what worked and download is what worked. I just needed to reboot afterwards for the solution to take effect.

The only original post that u mentioned a reboot on was the registry edite. Deleting of the upper and lowers, that I stated I didn't have upper or lowers....