ceewi1's PSU Recommendations

ceewi1

VIP Member
To some extent. If I'm picking up an unknown unit, the weight gives me some indication as to its quality. The majority of cheap PSUs have tiny heatsinks, sometimes very thin wires, and are often lacking in other circuitry, which means they're usually quite light. Units capable of putting out more power generally just require more "stuff" in them to do that.

That said, it's by no means a reliable comparison, low efficiency units will need larger heatsinks to cope with the temperatures, for example. When writing guides like this, I'm able to get far more detailed information on the PSUs, and the weight becomes superfluous.

Del

To some extent. If I'm picking up an unknown unit, the weight gives me some indication as to its quality. The majority of cheap PSUs have tiny heatsinks, sometimes very thin wires, and are often lacking in other circuitry, which means they're usually quite light. Units capable of putting out more power generally just require more "stuff" in them to do that.

That said, it's by no means a reliable comparison, low efficiency units will need larger heatsinks to cope with the temperatures, for example. When writing guides like this, I'm able to get far more detailed information on the PSUs, and the weight becomes superfluous.
:eek: Most units are unknown to me at the moment.
I noticed that on the list is one unit similar to this one:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817182089
This one has a higher efficiency and two fans. It is a little more even with the instant discount but I wouldn't think it would be enough to make it not worth the few extra dollars. Please point out where I'm wrong. :)

ceewi1

VIP Member
This is why I'm a little reluctant to recommend any Rosewill units at all - they're all over the place. These two are completely unrelated. The one you've linked to is made by a completely different company than the one in my guide (Rosewill, like many other companies, doesn't make their own PSUs).

The one you linked to is made by Solytech. I know something of the platform, and it's terrible. I wouldn't expect it to output much more than 350W without blowing up, and even then the efficiency is terrible.

Del

O.O
I'm glad I asked! Thank you very much!
I think I'll get the 500W on page one. Thank you so much!

ztrain727

Obviously you know your stuff. I just feel a little worried, however, when I read reviews for the Antec NeoHE 380W. Could you possibly point out what makes this unit such a great deal for the price. You say the Ultra XVS 500-Wat is "reasonably well built", but would the XVS still outperform the Antec you think? If so, would the increase in performance be significant if I were to step up to the Ultra XVS 500-Watt? Will the Antec unit be trustworthy and easily power a 7900gt?

Anyway, thank you so much for this list. It's really great for everyone, but especially for people like me who are clueless when it comes to PSU's. Thanks!

Last edited:

ztrain727

My browser timed out and I thought my other post got erased. This has happened twice today...really starting to bother me...SORRY!

Last edited: