Celeron vs pentium 4

Vendetta

When my family was buying computers my brother, my dad, and I bought basically the same thing sept at different times. So basically the only difference was the processor. I got a Celeron 2.4 and my brother got a Pentium 4 2.6.

So then my brother went off to college and my father bought him this nice laptop and the pc with the Pentium 4 is unused and I am able to buy it for a cheap price from my bro.

So my question is is it worth it? To switch from a celeron 2.4 to a p4 2.6. I game alot so will I see alot of differences?

Thanks

azwebs

There are many factors that determine whether it will be worth upgrading.

For instance;

In your pc, I will need to know how much RAM and HDD space there is
In your bro's pc, I will need to know how much RAM and HDD space there is
I also need to know which operating system each one is running

If you give me these details, I should be able to answer your question.

Dual_Corex2

banned

For instance;

That doesnt matter, in any case Pentium owns Celeron. Celerons are crap.

Go Pentium.

Geoff

VIP Member
Obviously a Celeron D @ 3Ghz will outperform a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz, but if there roughly the same clock speed, the Pentium will always be better.

ms-das

Agreed with the above post. I have a cele-d. They are worse than Pentiums at the same clock speed because cele's have less fsb (the new P-4s have 800, celes have 400, cele-d's have 533) and have less L2 Cache (pentiums go from 256 kb. (the first P-4 ever created) to 2 MB of L2 cache (the newest models)) (celerons have 128 kb. of cache L2, and cele-d's have 256-512 kb. of cache depending on the model numbers, (347 and up have 512 of cache i beleive) Anyway, regarding teh CPU only, the P4 will perform better in games than tehe cele-d, though I can run BF2 on my cele-d, un overclocked, and it still runs fine, it lags a bit on the lowest settings, but that is due to RAM.

Vendetta

For instance;

Well he has a 80 gig hd i have a 40 gig (i no it sucks)

I will have the same memory and graphics card cause ill just moove mine over to his computer.

Deepblue

Agreed with the above post. I have a cele-d. They are worse than Pentiums at the same clock speed because cele's have less fsb (the new P-4s have 800, celes have 400, cele-d's have 533) and have less L2 Cache (pentiums go from 256 kb. (the first P-4 ever created) to 2 MB of L2 cache (the newest models)) (celerons have 128 kb. of cache L2, and cele-d's have 256-512 kb. of cache depending on the model numbers, (347 and up have 512 of cache i beleive) Anyway, regarding teh CPU only, the P4 will perform better in games than tehe cele-d, though I can run BF2 on my cele-d, un overclocked, and it still runs fine, it lags a bit on the lowest settings, but that is due to RAM.

As MS-DAS says the only different between a P4 and a Cele is the FSB and the Cache, the cele is probaly on a cheaper MoBO also.
this does however make a big difference.

I would buy it and move the stuff from the cele to the p4 "if its compatable"

Maddhatter

i had a celeron at 2.5 ghz and a P4 2.53 ghz that came with an old dell...there is a huge difference between them obviously the P4 runs much better