Certain HD Videos using too much CPU?

Danza Macabra

I was under the impression that streaming online videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) was more dependent upon your internet speed than whatever actual hardware you have. I usually don't have a problem with most videos, but while watching a particular movie trailer today on a website, it was 80% or more of my CPU while it was playing. Could there be some specific reason why it is doing that for this video and not other ones that are HD as well? Spec wise, my computer is: i5 2410M (2.3 GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. Any input on why this may be happening is appreciated.

Streaming online videos does require processing power as well as good internet speed. If you internet speed is fast then buffering will be good, after/while this the CPU just has to transfer the video to the GPU, then the GPU will read the Video, scale it and display on the screen. Just see whether you are running other applications, or are you recording the video? Probably open task manager and see what processes are using the CPU.

Back