WIndows 10 Certain Keys not Working

LawH

My Backspace, Enter, Apostrophe, and my Up and Down keys are not functioning properly. They work and stop working seemingly randomly in short intervals.
The warranty for my HP laptop was crazy short. Any laptop should last for more than a year. I haven't even finished paying for this thing.

I was wondering if there is a fix I could do at home, rather than send the laptop to be repaired? It doesnt seem to be a driver issue though it is possible. That was the first thing google suggested.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you spilled anything on it? Not much you can do besides trying to replace the actual keyboard on it. Have you tried booting to a live cd or something to verify its not an issue with windows?

LawH

Have you spilled anything on it? Not much you can do besides trying to replace the actual keyboard on it. Have you tried booting to a live cd or something to verify its not an issue with windows?
I've had no spills. I opened the laptop up, dusted it, and I don't want to jinx it, but it seems to be working now. It didn't work immediately after opening and closing it up, but for some reason now there is no more issue.

I'm pretty sure it will come back, but for now I am happy. It would suck since this is a relatively new laptop, and I can't afford to repair this.

LawH

I'm relatively unfamiliar with laptops, but it seems as this laptop keyboard might be a bit tricky, since it doesn't seem to be easy to remove as a separate entity.

It looks like it is hiddeb behind all other parts, and getting through them might be a hassle. It's a HP Laptop, with each key being a separate button with very small parts, and the stick through the top panel. I'm not sure if this explains it at all.

As contrast, I've seen laptops that have a removeable keyboards that don't require the removal of any other components, just screws.