CF Greasemonkey Themes

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The beauty of having multiple skins is that they could choose which skins they wanted to use

ffs yes thanks for pointing that out

You're only limited if whoever is in charge doesn't feel like individually editing each theme with consistent images and the like.

There are tons of themes already that can be installed, it's simply a matter of installing them and allowing permissions for users to change them from the control panel.

Cromewell and kobaj are working on greasemonkey code as I write this post and I'm optimistic that we'll have a solution as outlined itt. Ian has run vB forums for years, he's well aware of multiple skin mods, so if he hasn't yet installed them, he has his reasons. Instead of scratching my head and trying to figure out WHY we don't have a vB multiple skin option, I came up with this idea. Hopefully it will work out.

Nothing needs to be installed on the forum. For those that like the current theme, it stays. For those of you that don't like the greasemonkey skins that are provided, I'm hoping we can provide a code template that will allow you to enter in the changes you want, all with how-to instructions so little effort is required on the end-user side.

NVX_185

Whatever theme we end up with, PLEASE keep the X-Blade case in the banner. :p Am I only the only one on this forum that still has that case... In good condition too?

kobaj

VIP Member
Well dunno how much Cromewell has accomplished but here is a basic color/theme selector for CoFo that I wrote up. It uses GreaseMonkey and as far as I know, only works on Firefox 7 thus far.

Anyway, with the script installed you can scroll to the bottom of the CoFo home page where you will find a drop down selection box on the left. There you can select which color/theme you want cofo to have (currently only two black and white).

Its really proof of concept and is very basic, but would be extremely easy to expand to include other changes (fonts, spaceing, backgrounds, images, anything) to make a real color/theme selector.

But I don't really have the time. Maybe in a week or two, or if Cromewell wants to work on it or something. :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'll probably expand on what you have so that it handles the various fonts that become hard to read as you adjust the colors (mainly when going to white).

It's also possible to change the colors around this editor box and all the buttons on it. I was fiddling around with a lot of stuff, somethings don't like to change though.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm offering VIP membership to those that can assist with this project. Kobaj seems to think our goal here is super easy to reach. If you you know some js, please contribute your time and help out the forum. We want multiple skins in the dropdown menu.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and by the way, he'll also offer VIP status to anyone that can do skins for IE users!!! HINT HINT. Don't make me switch my broswer. IE does great for me. lol

kobaj

VIP Member
Just wanted to give you guys a taste of whats coming up from me.

Do note: this is not representative of the final product or themes. I'll have this released to CoFo within a few days. If you want a theme but don't know jack about code, read the paragraph after the picture.

Click for Big

Said paragraph:
With my plugin its rather easy to set background colors, font/text colors, and link colors. The thing is, I don't know what themes you guys want! So tell me! If you know code, you can just look at the plugin (when it is released!) and change it appropriately (I think you may need to give me the code you change so I can re upload it? but I digress)

If you don't know code take a screenshot of the forums, use paint/gimp/photoshop whatever to fill in what colors you want and where. Even if its not a background/font/link like I listed above, just about anything else is changeable (ie, borders, text areas). Images might be a bit tricky to replace, but doable.

Let me know what you guys want/think.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks kobaj. We really appreciate the work so far. This is exactly what I had in mind. If we don't receive any requests for specific color schemes, go with maybe two light and two dark schemes? Pick whatever YOU like. I'm actually among the crowd that is happy with the color scheme, but I'd like to satisfy those that want choice or something different.

Please post some suggestions people! If you've complained about the colors in the past, let this man know what you want. ;)

Troncoso

VIP Member
Just wanted to give you guys a taste of whats coming up from me.

Do note: this is not representative of the final product or themes. I'll have this released to CoFo within a few days. If you want a theme but don't know jack about code, read the paragraph after the picture.

Click for Big

Said paragraph:
With my plugin its rather easy to set background colors, font/text colors, and link colors. The thing is, I don't know what themes you guys want! So tell me! If you know code, you can just look at the plugin (when it is released!) and change it appropriately (I think you may need to give me the code you change so I can re upload it? but I digress)

If you don't know code take a screenshot of the forums, use paint/gimp/photoshop whatever to fill in what colors you want and where. Even if its not a background/font/link like I listed above, just about anything else is changeable (ie, borders, text areas). Images might be a bit tricky to replace, but doable.

Let me know what you guys want/think.

I enjoy this theme, though I would say the black text on grey may be hard on some eyes, including my own.

Troncoso

VIP Member
We're going to have multiple skins. Please be specific and tell him what colors you would prefer.

Haha, I really like the one he posted, the only thing I would change is make the black text a lighter color. Though, after taking a second look, the text is fine except for the sub forum titles. How about something like this:

CFTemplate.png

Just changed the sub forum title back color, but I think it makes it easier to read

jonnyp11

i think many people's issues are less with the colors and more with the bland old theme. this theme reminds me of win98 or 2000, idk, but it's so boring really.

kobaj

VIP Member
You want your themes? Come and get it! I've included three of my own personal ideas, called Dark, White, and Invert. Check out the screenshots below. In order to use these (fully functioning in firefox 7 and Chrome) themes with CoFo Simply install GreaseMonkey plugin and then install my ColorChange plugin.

If you want me to make you a theme. Take a screenshot of the forums, and color it how you want (links, backgrounds, borders, etc) upload it and post it here. I'll try to get your custom theme made for you asap (it really takes about 5 minutes) and upload it for you and everyone to enjoy!

Dark
J1sEqh.png

Invert
PJtEyh.png

White
3YemPh.png

(Big Here.)

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
GAAHHH!!! I wish this was for Chrome!!! I love it!!! The only thing that isn't so cool is the reply box. It looks very out of place.

Edit: And actually, when you post a reply, it shows up in the original CF theme. You have to refresh it for it to look normal

kobaj

VIP Member
GAAHHH!!! I wish this was for Chrome!!! I love it!!! The only thing that isn't so cool is the reply box. It looks very out of place.

Edit: And actually, when you post a reply, it shows up in the original CF theme. You have to refresh it for it to look normal

Took a few edits, but it now works in Chrome! You don't even need greasemonkey. Just head straight to the userscripts page and install my ColorChange plugin!

Proof.
ql0JS.png

As for the editbox. That is considered a proprietary object. I could change it, but none of the buttons would match and formatting would be a nightmare. See image below. If you still want it a different color/to match, let me know and I'll make you a theme, but otherwise it will go unchanged in all the other themes :). EDIT: Unless EVERYONE wants the edit box to match the theme. Then I will change it to be as such.

Yep.
7mRbq.png

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Haha, It's not a deal breaker, I was just pointing that out. It still looks really good.

The only other problem I see is that new posts show up as the old theme, like this:

Untitled-1.png

kobaj

VIP Member
Haha, It's not a deal breaker, I was just pointing that out. It still looks really good.

The only other problem I see is that new posts show up as the old theme, like this:
*snip*

All it takes is a refresh of the display,
To make the ajax go away,
Try it real quick
You'll see its slick
and my theme appears to fix the day!