Challenge yourself! try to solve this internet problem.

hpvista

hey,

For about a year now, I have had incredibly bad internet, and i mean incredibly bad. I will log into world of warcraft and start out with a latency around 300ms (because i have vista) but it will skyrocket to around 3400ms, which is extremely unplayable, and you would know if you played the game. i checked wow forums to see if they could help and i tried their security tweaks but it only solved the skyrocket problem for about a day. I realised it wasn't only wow when i tried playing Halo online, just to find out halo had super lag, with a ping of 1472ms. i find this really weird because anything that isn't internet related on my computer goes really fast.

here is what i have tried to solve the problem, (but it didn't work):

1. disabling mcaffee firewall
2. disconnect and reconnect my dsl cable
3. reset my router (brand is 2wire)
4. checked for trojan or spyware with Malwarebytes, HiJackThis, Mcaffee, AD-Aware, Norton internet Security, Spybot S&D
5. adding additional fan to case (don't ask me why i did it)

i am really sure i have no viruses or spyware, other vista users only have about 3-500 latency when playing wow, where as i already said i have 3000, i have not tried to beat up my computer, and the only possible things slowing internet down could be mccaffee firewall, th distance my dsl cable is travelling from router to computer, an xp computer on same internet connection and maybe Sasktel being the ISP.

Any Ideas on how to solve my problem will be greatly appreciated. the person with an idea that solves my problem will be God in my eyes :):)

JTM

hey,

For about a year now, I have had incredibly bad internet, and i mean incredibly bad. I will log into world of warcraft and start out with a latency around 300ms (because i have vista) but it will skyrocket to around 3400ms, which is extremely unplayable, and you would know if you played the game. i checked wow forums to see if they could help and i tried their security tweaks but it only solved the skyrocket problem for about a day. I realised it wasn't only wow when i tried playing Halo online, just to find out halo had super lag, with a ping of 1472ms. i find this really weird because anything that isn't internet related on my computer goes really fast.

here is what i have tried to solve the problem, (but it didn't work):

1. disabling mcaffee firewall
2. disconnect and reconnect my dsl cable
3. reset my router (brand is 2wire)
4. checked for trojan or spyware with Malwarebytes, HiJackThis, Mcaffee, AD-Aware, Norton internet Security, Spybot S&D
5. adding additional fan to case (don't ask me why i did it)

i am really sure i have no viruses or spyware, other vista users only have about 3-500 latency when playing wow, where as i already said i have 3000, i have not tried to beat up my computer, and the only possible things slowing internet down could be mccaffee firewall, th distance my dsl cable is travelling from router to computer, an xp computer on same internet connection and maybe Sasktel being the ISP.

Any Ideas on how to solve my problem will be greatly appreciated. the person with an idea that solves my problem will be God in my eyes :):)

Is your pc part of a network connected by a router? Maybe your brother etc. is downloading something when you use the computer. Check with that first and see what you find out. DSL should never lag that bad!

awildgoose

Is your pc part of a network connected by a router? Maybe your brother etc. is downloading something when you use the computer. Check with that first and see what you find out. DSL should never lag that bad!

You wouldn't have done that would you? You are talking about Downloading *whoo hoo*

In response to original post, how good is your computer? Also unistall Norton, it sucks more than Paris Hilton... seriously. After unistalling it from peoples computers, they have told me there computer works awesomely now.
Hope this helps.

Aziek

id say your problem has nothing to do with your computer, either 1 you live ages away from your exchange or 2 your cheap and have shitty internet

hpvista

and no, my family does not download anything at all, im the downloader :). The wow server that i play on is in dallas, but in internet terms thats not too far from canada. here is my computer specs (with good internet this thing would run great)

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.2 GHZ
3gb dual channel memory
coolermaster centurion 534 case
Asus geforce 8500 Gt (soon to be EVGA 9800 GT)
coolermaster 460w psu
vista home premium
seagate 400 GB Hard drive

hpvista

oh, and yes, it is on a network connected by a router, but i have been using that route for 3 years with no problems until 1 year ago

Dropkickmurphys

What speed internet are you using? and do any of the other PC's on the network have any problems?

Have you tried a different router?

Try forwarding some ports... you can go to www.portforward.com to find out how to do this.

turn off all anti-viruses / firewalls.

cant think of anything else atm.

graedus

if it's a wireless router you could have a leech (ie-if you live in townhouses, or appartments), happened to me....caught the guy one day sat on the floor outside my door with his laptop, it was some geezer that lives upstairs a few floors. wonder who taught him that.

EGS

banned
Update your network card drivers..
Update your router's firmware..

Turn off PC. Restart router and modem..
Keep off whiel you reboot PC.

Go into DOS right click command prompt run as administrator..
Type in ipconfig/flushdns
Hit enter..
Type exit
Reboot computer..
Turn on router and modem..
Restart computer...

See if that helps..

bilbus

If you are playing on a private server, its most likely the private server.

do "ping www.google.com" If its still 300+ ms its you.

Your computer should have little effect on your ping, a slow pc and a fast pc on the same network pinging the same address will have the same ping.