Change format from mkv to err.... mpg or what?

willythecat

So here's the crunch.......
I have a mkv file on my computer that just does not work on my "super duper, play all formats" player.
Put the usb stick into it and it says not recognised, although it plays fine on the computer.
Mmmm.... me thinks, how about converting it from mkv to mpg, and that is where all my problems started.
Downloaded Freemake, or they should have called it Conmake.
Converts everything with a watermark and guess what, to get rid if the watermark costs money each month.
Also tried AnyVideo Converter which then just got hanging after a few minutes of trying it twice.
Could not delete any of these programs until Johnb (site user) came along with Revo uninstaller, which is ace.
So, l have a mkv file that l want to convert to something else, possibly mpg4 maybe?.
It's a one off thing and l will possibly never have to do it again.
Any programs out there that will do this?
Freemake and AVC are a no no as far as l'm concerned.
Regards

willythecat

Thanks Darren.
Downloaded PotPlayer, which turned ALL of my files to a PotPlayer format. Aaaaarg!
Switched them all back to VLC player and dumped PotPlayer post haste.
Maybe l just didn't make myself clear in the first place, sorry about that.
I can view all files on my computer using VLC.
I then copy a "file" from the computer to a usb stick, take it over to my LG player which is connected to the TV, and it doesn't work because the format is not recognized.
Mmmm? It should recognize ALL formats which is why l bought the blimmin' thing in the first place!
So, thought l'd convert the files from mkv to another format just to see if that works.
That is what l am looking for ......... a file converter.