Changed boot order/ priority. Now black screen on boot up

Dan1985uk

I'm pulling my hair out guys I need advice I cant think of the solution and its driving me insane.

All I did was reset my pc and go into my bios and change my boot order from my ssd to my hard drive because it has a version of windows 7 on it, my ssd is my main boot drive with Windows 10. Windows 7 on the hdd failed to load up and then restarted and now all i get is a black screen. Dont even get the bios logo screen.

All hardware seems to be powered and running. I tried unplugging sata cable from my hdd and leaving only my ssd in thought that would force it to boot from the ssd as the only option but no still black screen.

Soooooo frustrating. Tried pulling cmos battery out and putting back in. Nothing. What the heck do I try next? I dont have another computer so have no screen but my phone now to look up things for help.

Cant believe something like this can happen from what I did. Oh also tried switching from HDMI to rgb and from my tv to a spare monitor. Nothing.

Specs are Amd a8 7600
Gigabyte fm2+ motherboard
Crucial 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Pny 120gb ssd
1tb Hitachi deskstar hdd
Corsair cx 600m

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect all drives and see if you get bios screen. If you do then one of your drives is bad.

Intel_man

VIP Member
did you hold the power button for 30-60 seconds after pulling the cmos battery out? That's done to drain any residual power left in the system so it properly resets your cmos. Alternatively, you can jump the CMOS pins if there isn't a cmos reset button on your mobo.

Dan1985uk

did you hold the power button for 30-60 seconds after pulling the cmos battery out? That's done to drain any residual power left in the system so it properly resets your cmos. Alternatively, you can jump the CMOS pins if there isn't a cmos reset button on your mobo.

No I didn't. I also only took the battery out for about 30 seconds. I'll try these two tips and report back thanks.

Dan1985uk

Intel_man that worked but only half the issue is fixed. Cmos was reset and now I have image on my tv or monitor but windows 10 wont load. It is stuck in windows 10 automatic repair like its in a loop. No matter What option I choose. Any ideas?

Dan1985uk

No. To the win 10 ssd. It really doesnt make sense to me why it wont just simply boot up from my win 10 ssd like it was before. All because I simply changed boot priority once? Will I have to reinstall win 10 on the ssd ??

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'd switch the boot mgr back for now. You need to move the boot mgr from your previous boot device to the ssd that you want it on either through BCDEdit or through a software and THEN change your boot priority to the SSD.

Dan1985uk

I dont understand how to do any of that? I only have one ssd and the mech hdd with win 7. If I change it to the win 7 device again surely I'll run into the same problem again?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Is this the screen you get?
bootmgr-is-missing-597f431422fa3a0010f41c03.PNG

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Backup your data and reinstall windows 10 but make sure you disconnect the hdd so the boot files don't get placed on it. This will be the quickest and easiest way.

Dan1985uk

Is this the screen you get?
bootmgr-is-missing-597f431422fa3a0010f41c03.PNG
No Intel man. I get a blue screen called windows 10 auto repair and it gives you loads of options. I cant back up any data John because I cant get to my desktop. Obviously I can make sure the data on my hdd is safe by pulling the data cable out. But if I re install windows 10 on my ssd will I be able to keep all my files on it? I think theres an option for that isnt there?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need to put the drive into another system or use a usb adapter to transfer data to a different machine. Something probably happened to the bootfiles. Once you copy your data just reinstall windows and all apps and games. You'll be back up in no time.

Dan1985uk

John you are right I think. Just had the guy at my local pc repair place tell me that when I switched to my hdd I probably corrupted the boot files for windows 10 on my ssd. Some well known bug on win 10 apparently? But not to me...until now that is.

Intel_man

VIP Member
No Intel man. I get a blue screen called windows 10 auto repair and it gives you loads of options. I cant back up any data John because I cant get to my desktop. Obviously I can make sure the data on my hdd is safe by pulling the data cable out. But if I re install windows 10 on my ssd will I be able to keep all my files on it? I think theres an option for that isnt there?
Have you actually tried going through the windows repair menu and let it try to repair windows?

Dan1985uk

Yea I did it just loops through and says it cant repair.

I ended up slotting my ssd into another machine I acquired. Moved my important data across to that for safe keeping and then I put my ssd back in my system and reinstalled windows altogether. Thanks for the help guys.