ChangeNotebookHarddrive?

makeitoak

My Acer Aspire 1703SC [big 17" laptop] has had a lot of use [estimated 2500+hrs]. and is about 18mths old. It is starting to make a nearly constant but slightly variable fairly high pitched whine, which I reckon is the fan on the harddrive or processor. The noise will go when the computer works hard, eg opens a cad drawing. The various intermittent harddrive clicking sounds normal and not loud.

I wonder if there is a lubricant which will quieten it and extend its life?

Do you think I should change the fan, or could it be the processor which is noisy?

Specs are:
80gig 5400rpm Ultra ATA/100 harddrive
Pentium 4 2.66GHZ
1gig of ram
Runs very nicely apart from the irritating whine.

One more question, please, this is a large heavy notebook and uses a lot of desktop components. I have wondered whether it might be possible to change the harddrive to a 7200rpm but am concerned about whether the computer will know it should run it at that speed, and whether there is sufficient cooling fan for it, given the limitation in space.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think I should change the fan, or could it be the processor which is noisy?
You can change the fan but you're prolly best off cleaning it :)

but am concerned about whether the computer will know it should run it at that speed
You'll be fine

and whether there is sufficient cooling fan for it, given the limitation in space.
Should also be fine.