Changes to Flickr

spirit

Staff member
Just noticed that Flickr have made some changes to their site and accounts, the most obvious of which is the new look!

What do you think? I quite like it. Looks new and up-to-date (I always thought Flickr was beginning to look a bit dated). It looks a bit like 500px now.

tumblr_mn634iKykl1rr8jsmo1_1280.png

The best news is though that you no longer have to pay for a Flickr Pro account in order to get around some limitations. Some of the following limitations have been removed from the free account:

- 300 MB file upload per month (now you have 1TB, but not per month - you can pay $500 a year for 2TB though)
- The inability to view all your photos (before today with a free account you could only view your latest 200 uploads)
- The 10 group limit is gone, now I think you can post in up to 60 or it may even be unlimited
- The inability to download full res copies of your photos and videos with a free account has been removed

There's probably more too. (see here http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/)

There is an 'Ad Free' account which is $49.99 a year, but since I use AdBlock, I don't see any adverts anyway, and besides removing adverts, it offers no advantages over the free account. As I said earlier too, you can pay $499.99 a year to get 2TB of storage, but 1TB is plenty anyway.

So what do you think of the changes? I don't know how many people use Flickr, but will these changes to their free account make you use it again? After all, it is now free to use I guess...

The irony is that this evening I went into town to withdraw £30 from my bank account to purchase my Pro account, only to get home and find that they've discontinued it! :p Still, that's £30 I've not got to spend now.

Rit

I'm just curious if this is just a stepping stone to eventually being like smugmug/zenfolio/etc...