Changing names of domain accounts (windows 7, windows 10)

Stanislaw

Hi,
I have to change names of domain accounts (new company policy). Actually, changing names in domain is the easiest part of this, because I would like to attach data and settings from old local account to new one. How can I transfer mentioned things to new account?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you're asking how to do this, it sounds to me like you don't know much about Active Directory, so if I were you I wouldn't touch it. I'd find someone else who knows what they're doing.

What specifically do you want to change? Do you just want to change the account name, or something else?

Say you have John D. Smith and his username is JSmith but company policy wants you to change to to SmithJD, just change the account name in AD.

You want to make sure that nothing is running as that user though (scheduled task, computer service, etc. - it shouldn't be anyway because that's bad practice, but that could happen) otherwise the job/service will try to run as that user and continuously lock their account out.

Stanislaw

I know AD enough to change names :) don't worry
Yes I have John D. Smith with username JSmith and he works only on computer "number 1" and has there local data on this account. I want to change username to SmithJD in domain and he has to have all data and settings on new account, which after logging will be locally created. So how can I do that?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I want to change username to SmithJD in domain and he has to have all data and settings on new account, which after logging will be locally created. So how can I do that?
It's not going to create a new profile. It will continue using the existing profile because the security ID of the account is not changing.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
he has to have all data and settings on new account, which after logging will be locally created. So how can I do that?
Did you not hear me say that
It's not going to create a new profile. It will continue using the existing profile because the security ID of the account is not changing.

If you want him to retain all settings and files, etc. why do you want to create a new profile in which you need to move everything to the new profile?

I don't understand why you want to do this. Just change his account name and be done with it. There's no point in going through the hassle of creating a completely new profile.

Stanislaw

Ok, sorry I didn't understand that, but now it seems obvious to me.

So new username (SmithJD) will use old username's data (JSmith) and in folder "users" it will still be JSmith? Can I change this folder name's?