changing the master drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrapped>.<

hi

My master drive is starting to make noise sometimes so i thought it is time for me to get a new master drive.
so is it save to say that my master drive it going to go at anytime, since it is startting to make noise? I had a 200GB Maxter and it die not long after it starts making noise.
i am thinking of getting another 200GB as the masterdrive seems how it only sell for $60.
My question is will my computer be able to handle two 200GB harddrive? I have sony Viao PCV-RX550, it is 4 years old but it is still getting all my jobs done so i am not thing of getting another one just yet, :rolleyes:

it is P4 with Windows XP Home. (i didn't upgrade the oprating system)

You see i was never so sure that if my computer is %100 virus free, so i am thinking of reistall the window on my new 200GB 133/ATA 7200/RPM. insted of transpering all the files from my old Master to the new one. (by the way, if i reinstall the windows on the new harddrive does that mean my computer will be as new as when i got it off the store? I am talking about the system not all the hardwares.)

Come some one please tell me step by step on how to do this?

Do i have to format the new hardrive before installing the windows on it?

do i just set the harddrive to master and popin the windows reinstalling CD that came with my computer?

P.S i am not sure if the new harddrive it Maxtor or Western, for they didn't say anything on the Staple webPage. Will the 133/ATA 720/RPM be able to handle the job as a master? i don't have the modle number yet but i will be back to addin the specifications for the harddrive. so please come back and look at my question agian tomorrow.

Last edited:

Kboy

Scrapped>.< said:
My question is will my computer be able to handle two 200GB harddrive? I have sony Viao PCV-RX550, it is 4 years old but it is still getting all my jobs done so i am not thing of getting another one just yet, :rolleyes:
It depends on how good you power supply is, but probably it can handle it.

Scrapped>.< said:
if i reinstall the windows on the new harddrive does that mean my computer will be as new as when i got it off the store?
Yes, there won't be any programs or files, or personal preferences set if you reformat and reinstall Windows.

Scrapped>.< said:
Come some one please tell me step by step on how to do this?

Do i have to format the new hardrive before installing the windows on it?

do i just set the harddrive to master and popin the windows reinstalling CD that came with my computer?
Basically...Very basically, but installing windows isn't that hard.

Scrapped>.<

By the way. how do i format the hardrive? do i just format it with the software that came with the hardrive? or do i need something ease to format it?