Channel Bandwidth for 5GHz bands

Laquer Head

Quick question, been tweaking home network and using more capability of my tri-band router - what is the recommended channel bandwidth setting to input in my router for either of the 5GHz bands, and should both band be the same setting or different?

I got these 4 choices--> 20/40/80MHz, 20MHz, 40MHz, or 80Mz

beers

Staff member
I'd set them on different channels so they don't conflict with each other.

80 MHz is pretty wide, here's a chart of channels and widths and how they overlap in the 5 GHz space:
1000w

Laquer Head

So one on 80MHz for the 2 machines with 3x3 antennas and everything else on the other 5G band at say 40MHz is ok??

Geoff

VIP Member
So one on 80MHz for the 2 machines with 3x3 antennas and everything else on the other 5G band at say 40MHz is ok??
Assuming you aren't in a congested area like an apartment building or multi-unit home, you should be able to use two 80MHz channels. Set one to channel 42 and the other on channel 155, both at 80MHz.

Laquer Head

Assuming you aren't in a congested area like an apartment building or multi-unit home, you should be able to use two 80MHz channels. Set one to channel 42 and the other on channel 155, both at 80MHz.

In a stand alone home and only a house on the one side of me, so totally uncongested.

I looked into the router GUI and cant see how to set manual channels, only option I see is the channel bandwith and control channel settings..neither of which have ability for manual input of channel number!

Laquer Head

Well, did you read this? :D
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wi...nual.zip?_ga=1.109031754.991666543.1475613628

It looks like you have to disable smart connect in order to manually manage each 5 Ghz stream, other than that the manual doesn't really reference much but does include entries for control channel on the SSID portion.

First off quit yelling...I think its pretty obvious that I can't read..

But yeah, smart connect is off, I thought it had something to do with WPS??