Cheap Gaming Computer for Wedding Present

Stildawn

New Member
So my mates getting married...

And instead of getting them something lame and girl orientated (as per all normal wedding presents)present... I have decided to build him a new computer (which the wife can also use lol)

Plus I still owe him a 21st present also...

Anyway...

Im after a cheap gaming rig...

He has a 450w powersupply (but not a fancy brand so dont rely on it) and a case... He also has a DVD-RW IDE and a HDD IDE.... Which I can use if I need to....

So yeah just after the cheapest but best gaming rig for around US$425 (NZ$600 I live in NZ)

Heres a few builds Ive come up with... Feel free to critique or do new ones for me...


Athlon II x2 250 3Ghz
MSI GF615M-P33
Powercolor HD4770 512
OCZ XTC 1600 Cl7 2x2gb
DVD-RW
WD 160gb 7200
(This one is bang on budget here in NZ)


Phenom II x2 545 3Ghz
MSI GF615M-P33
Powercolor HD4770 512
OCZ XTC 1600 Cl7 2x2gb
DVD-RW
WD 160gb 7200
(This one is twenty over budget here)


Athlon II x4 2.6ghz
MSI GF615M-P33
Powercolor HD4770 512
OCZ XTC 1600 Cl7 2x2gb
DVD-RW
WD 160gb 7200
(This one is about 50 bucks over budget but is a quad core, but I dont know if the Athlon II quads are worth the extra bucks)


Phenom II x2 550 3.1GHZ
Gigabyte GA-MA770T- UD3P
Powercolor HD4770 512
OCZ XTC 1600 Cl7 2x2gb
DVD-RW
WD 160gb 7200
(This is the one I want to get him, but is like a hundred bucks over budget, but would be cool to unlock the cores and give him an awesome quad)


So yeah... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
 
You can't always unlock the dual-cores to quads...

There's nothing wrong with an Athlon quad. They do lack an L3 cache but even a triple core one would be ok for gaming. With a higher-end GPU they might be a bottleneck, but not with a 4770.

Other than that, I'd go for a mobo with an AMD chipset (770 would be ok), and is possible a bigger hard drive.
 
Mobo - you will need SB750/ SB710 to unlock core in case he get phenom II. Ditch the MSI.
So I recommend
Athlon IIx2 - to keep the build cheap
Phenom IIx2 545 if he is not OC.
Gigabyte GA-MA770T- UD3P
Powercolor HD4770 512
OCZ XTC 1600 Cl7 2x2gb
DVD-RW
WD 160gb 7200
 
Gigabyte GA-MA770T- UD3P

I did pick that one for the build using the 550 cause at the time I thought that was the only Phenom II x2 that unlocked cores...

The MSI is just for all the cheaper builds which wont unlock any extra cores.
 
Back
Top