Cheap GPU Question

cuffless

I've currently got a Dell PC which is about 5 years old. Its fine for internet browsing which its mainly used for but I want to start playing the sims 3 again. At the moment it plays it alright but I'm thinking about upgrading the ram and the GPU. Current specs are in my sig.

Is the EVGA GT430 1GB graphics card any good? I don't know much but for £50 it seems to have the highest numbers. Would 4GB of ram help too?

Fooozball

I would personally just pick up an 8800gt/s for 50-60 USD (Not sure what equals to in euro) off of ebay.

2gbs is fine... I'd get 4 if you have the $$

cuffless

The 8800gts seem to be the same price or more expensive and only available from Hong Kong or China.

Turbo10

I would personally just pick up an 8800gt/s for 50-60 USD (Not sure what equals to in euro) off of ebay.

2gbs is fine... I'd get 4 if you have the $$

£=pound :p

what about maybe an 8500GT or an 8600GT? i have an old 8500GT with a aftermarket HSF on, it overclocked pretty well when i used it

cuffless

Had a look at the 8600GT and its more expensive. The reason I looked at the GT430 is its DX11 where other cards in the same price range are DX10. I've had my last card for 5 years so I'm looking for something that will last as long again.

Turbo10

Had a look at the 8600GT and its more expensive. The reason I looked at the GT430 is its DX11 where other cards in the same price range are DX10. I've had my last card for 5 years so I'm looking for something that will last as long again.

even if its a directx 11 card it doesnt mean itll be better, it just means it can use directx 11, doesn't change the performance of the card

I just looked at 8600gt's and they are about 30-40 quid is that still too high?

cuffless

Thats not too high. Ideally want to spend around £50. I've seen a used 9800gt for that but I don't think my powersupply (standard 375 I think watt) would be up to it.

Turbo10

Thats not too high. Ideally want to spend around £50. I've seen a used 9800gt for that but I don't think my powersupply (standard 375 I think watt) would be up to it.

thats too low for quite a lot of gfx cards, maybe investing in a new psu first would be an idea?

cuffless

Yea I know. As its a Dell they make everything difficult including uprating the PSU. In the end I found a cheap 5570 which looks like it uses less power then most other cards including the 8600GT.

Fooozball

Yea I know. As its a Dell they make everything difficult including uprating the PSU. In the end I found a cheap 5570 which looks like it uses less power then most other cards including the 8600GT.

Just make sure you have enough amps on the 12v rail.