Cheap PCs?

Itronix

Ok, I just have a simple, quick question. One of my teachers is going to be purchasing a couple new computers for his room. He is going to buy one now and probably another later. He is looking at an Acer with a E2220 and 4 gb of ram for around $470, along with a Compaq with a 5400+ and 3 gb of ram that's close to $100 less. These do not come with monitors and they are the small, slim, office type of computers.

I've always felt that you get what you pay for, but I'd like to see what others have to say. After a cheap Emachines that lasted a maybe a year, I'd never go back to a cheapo machine. He'd like these to last for a few years. Do you think the motherboards and power supplies will be able to last, or are the parts most likely too cheap? I just need advice on whether they will last a few years. The specs are decent, but to me that means that the manufacturers probably skimped on reliable components. Thanks.

XanderCage

well, most of the time manufacturers will put good cpus and a nice amount of ram for a cheap price. However they are able to do this thanks to their 35 dollar PSUS that they put in there. I would tell you to tell your teacher to build his own. If not just be prepared to deal with the chance of breakdown thanks to cheap psu. I guess the only thing good about buying from pc companies is that you get a warranty for the whole pc, not just individual parts.

Dustbytes

Ok, I just have a simple, quick question. One of my teachers is going to be purchasing a couple new computers for his room. He is going to buy one now and probably another later. He is looking at an Acer with a E2220 and 4 gb of ram for around $470, along with a Compaq with a 5400+ and 3 gb of ram that's close to $100 less. These do not come with monitors and they are the small, slim, office type of computers.

I've always felt that you get what you pay for, but I'd like to see what others have to say. After a cheap Emachines that lasted a maybe a year, I'd never go back to a cheapo machine. He'd like these to last for a few years. Do you think the motherboards and power supplies will be able to last, or are the parts most likely too cheap? I just need advice on whether they will last a few years. The specs are decent, but to me that means that the manufacturers probably skimped on reliable components. Thanks.

Ebay sellers put together some good computers with good prices. If i was in your shoes, i would look at quad cores because multitasking is more important then what the duo has to offer. for the same price take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Qu...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1308

Because this is for a school, he may have windows xp corporate edition available to him to install on these pc's.

Itronix

Thanks for your help! I'll offer to build him one (well, I'll see how much the parts will cost him). Thanks.

zakattack9

If you want to do only few operations, such as emailing, internet browsing and Word/Notepad, then I suggest a laptop. Maybe something with 512 mb RAM, 1.7 GHz, that kinda thing.

If you want to do multi-operations, gaming and viewing videos, the a Desktop is the thing for you.

RAM: 1/2 GB
CPU: Intel processor, running at atleast 2.00 GHz
GPU: Nvidia 6150 SE
HDD: 160 GB
DVD Driver
MB: Gigabyte, with PCI-e slots, DDR2 (most common RAM type)

That's good enough. I'd say install a few programs such as AVG 8.0 Free, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player. Those are very helpful tools for browsing the net.