Cheaper to go custom?

asb819

I found it rude that someone would be so quick to tell me I'm "hijacking" a thread. I accept your apology. Maybe next time you could PM someone if you have an issue with their post. Anyway, we're "hijacking" this thread, so back on topic:

Skizzerhands:

There's a great 1GB Corsair ram deal on Newegg right now. And for video cards you may want to consider a Radeon 9600, and I'd recommend AMD processors. Keep in mind, their clock speed is not a good measurer of their performing speeds, so while you may be looking for a 3+ GHz CPU, that means 1.8+ GHz for AMD. Anything over a "3000+" supposedly performs like over 3 GHz clock speed.

Good luck!

asb819 said:
Skizzerhands:

There's a great 1GB Corsair ram deal on Newegg right now. And for video cards you may want to consider a Radeon 9600, and I'd recommend AMD processors. Keep in mind, their clock speed is not a good measurer of their performing speeds, so while you may be looking for a 3+ GHz CPU, that means 1.8+ GHz for AMD. Anything over a "3000+" supposedly performs like over 3 GHz clock speed.

Good luck!

691175002 said:
So i'm assuming that you want an intel (because with multi monitor's you probbably do some processor intensive stuff)

An athlon 64 (or any amd) is very powerful (I am using one:)) but he hasn't told us what he does with his computer (actually he hasn't posted for a while). In games an athlon 64 would be great but I must stick with my previous statement that with multimonitors he most likely does programming/cad/3d stuff/graphics and other processor intensive stuff.
Of course for 700$ you will never make a good workstation so what he does on his computer is still up for debate.
I don't think a gamer would buy a 700$ computer (or ask for multi monitors) without saying something along the lines of "I want a nice video card" so we might as well wait for what he says he does.

I love amd much more than intel (check the sig) but currently an intel looks like a much better buy for him.

MadModder

I'm running

AMD FX-53
Two Raptor Drives 74.5 gig
2 GB of Corsair XMS Ram
A GeForce 6800 GT
and a Thermaltake Silnt PurePower 680w PSU

all this cost me just 700$ give or take, it may take you a while but look for ads for used parts, ebay etc. and THEN if you still cant find everything you need buy retail parts. ++ I made my own case, you dont need some fancy schmancy workstation case with doo-dads, ive got a cardboard box for a case, go me...

MadModder said:
I'm running

AMD FX-53
Two Raptor Drives 74.5 gig
2 GB of Corsair XMS Ram
A GeForce 6800 GT
and a Thermaltake Silnt PurePower 680w PSU

all this cost me just 700$ give or take, it may take you a while but look for ads for used parts, ebay etc. and THEN if you still cant find everything you need buy retail parts. ++ I made my own case, you dont need some fancy schmancy workstation case with doo-dads, ive got a cardboard box for a case, go me...

No way... my 64 3000+ with one raptor and 1gig of ram with just a normal 6800 cost me 5000$ (can)... Damn... O well I got a really really pro 23" lcd and 5.1 surround. Il just dwell on that thought:).

MadModder

Yeah well you've beat me in monitor and speakers, 15 in. CRT Monitor, 2.1 POS Speakers

Edit: SLI + AMD do indeed rock my socks off

Last edited:

MadModder

Even if a Dell was a few dollars cheaper than a custom I really doubt I would even go for the Dell, I really prefer to know every single thing about the computer I own. I HATE computers that weren't built at home or whatnot, but that is just me.

asb819

Yeah... A Dell could have a speedy processor and tons of ram (which they don't), but you never know what kind of crappy mobo they put in it. Mad Modder -- got any pics of your case/computer?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Cheaper to go custom?
Yes

Custom, however I'm afraid of the trial and error situation concerning matching parts and whatnot... obviously I don't know where to start learning... can somone please point me in the correct direction with some urls?
If you're not too keen on doing it all by yourself you can always find a small local computer shop and get them to make you a made-to-order system, labor expense isnt too bad (compared to say OEM)

You sure, Dell can go waaaaaaaaaay cheaper because all their parts are OEM.
Not just that, Dell gives you a good processor, decent HDD sometimes, decent LCD (well it may not be decent but it costs a whackload) but they cheap out on everything else.

AHHHHH now I can only post one message every 60 seconds... crazy rules...
Ah get used to it. Helps to limit spam. I cant be here all the time

True but you can almost never beat deals from dell, dells pc is already assembled, it has a warrentee so you dont have to phone every company...
Yes but you dont get a computer when you buy most Dell systems -- you get a "good enough machine" -- not a computer. Skimping out on the mobo and PSU is a crime -- and I dont need to mention the video subsystem

The reason I built my own was initally, I could do it cheaper than dell or anyone else.
Bingo.

also you didnt add a case and psu. I'm sure your computer can tie a dell in benchmarks without those
Id like to see Dell get my system for $1500CAD

It looks like a nice system but you should really make your own thread. You will probbably get more relevent posts and right now you are thread hijacking
The title of this thread is "cheaper to go custom" .... so lets ease off on the accusations/

Thanks for the "welcome." I guess I won't be sticking around this forum.
Dont mind him. If he keeps it up he'll be banned on short order.

No way... my 64 3000+ with one raptor and 1gig of ram with just a normal 6800 cost me 5000$ (can)...
Paid way too much

Mad Modder -- got any pics of your case/computer?
Ok that's thread 'jackin :p, new topic = new thread please :)