cheapest device to transfer files off a camera via USB to take home?

callagga

what would be the cheapest device to transfer files off a camera via USB to take home?

That is:
* laptop / netbook with a USB interface would be the normal appraoch, but was hoping for something cheaper
* something like a USB RAM Drive on steriods that has the ability to "act" like a laptop and allow you to request and transfer the files from your camera (e.g. gopro)

callagga

thanks @trewyn15

* re iPad - with the connector would the IOS software still act like a normal PC that could see a USB drive attached (i.e. after the gopro is connected) & allow you to transfer files from it to the iPad somehow?

* re card readers - I'll have a look, do they typically come with storage attached? i.e. like a storage device with a slot for an SD card is this what you mean? how do you tell the device which files you want

trewyn15

thanks @trewyn15

* re iPad - with the connector would the IOS software still act like a normal PC that could see a USB drive attached (i.e. after the gopro is connected) & allow you to transfer files from it to the iPad somehow?

* re card readers - I'll have a look, do they typically come with storage attached? i.e. like a storage device with a slot for an SD card is this what you mean? how do you tell the device which files you want

for the iPad it just allows you to upload and then delete the files from the card so then all the files are saved on the iPad and then your card is empty, I haven't had experience first hand with it but from what I have heard and seen it works great. For this one to work you actually have to take the memory card out and put it into the iPad attachment, check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57y_nQ6tJm0

He also uses a USB SD Card reader in the video, which is what you could use alone if you were to upload the pictures and videos to the computer. Also, in some of the recommended videos, it looks like you may be able to use the GoPro USB cable to upload the pictures, although I'm not sure how that would work with a GoPro, I haven't gotten to play with mine too much yet.

Hope this kind of helps you out as far as those two things go.

I would also like to hear of something that you can use just to go from SD Card to a thumb drive or external hard drive, unfortunately I think that because an external and thumb drive both need power to operate, there may not be something on the market for them.

BTW, do you have the HD Hero or HD Hero 2? I have the 960p HD Hero and love it!

tremmor

I have a Dane-elec SD card reader. Will accommodate 15 different cards from Walmart.
Just pull it out and transfer to a computer or microdrive. I paid $25.00 about 6 yrs ago. Can't find the model though. Radio shack would be another place to look or office supply.
Or favorite store.

cabinfever1977

first you should be using a camera that uses a card, then take card out and take home ,put card in computer.

or plug camera in to nearest computer transfer files to a usb thumb drive, then take thumb drive home and use on your computer.

or buy a used cheap labtop($50-100) with usb for a usb thumb drive.

PohTayToez

From the sound of it, you need to be able to take files off of a camera, but you can't take the camera home and don't want to have to have a computer with you, right?

Seems to me the easiest solution would be a second memory card...

tremmor

I carry a card reader and take out the card and transfer to a microdrive and works fine. 4 gig or higher. depends on what ya want to spend. when i get home then transfer to family pictures.

callagga

@chuckzwood - thanks this makes sense - so this "device" I had in mind exists, but it's getting close to the cost of a cheap netbook/laptop anyway I guess

@PohTayToez - re 2nd memory card - might be a good idea - have to check with gopro however where the video is stored and whether this would work - i.e. if there is only 1 slot then you wouldn't be able to get the gopro to copy from one card to another

@tremmor - what do you mean by "microdrive" exactly? you still need a laptop for the microdrive?

callagga

PS. In fact is there a Card Reader with 2 slots that would allow you to copy nominated files from card 1 to card 2?