Cheapest for F@H?

highrev15k

Hey guys I am looking into building another pc just for F@H. I use my main system too much for F@H to be on. My question is what is the absolute cheapest system (just tower and components) that could do some f@H. I already have a PS btw. Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
Why would you want to spend money to build a PC just for F@H? Any kind of PC that you would build for cheaply wouldn't have that much processing power.

Why dont you just use your current rig for F@H but set it to only 50% CPU usage or something?

Jet

VIP Member
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S21GB Crucial DDR2-667
Total w/o S/H: $204.47

What I would do, is put that together with your PSU, put it in a plastic underbed container (with some vents, and maybe a fan). You could put a small hard drive in it if you wanted, or there is a way to run it without needing a hard drive, off the network. Probably the best thing would be to get a really cheap hard drive and install Linux on it.

As far as the CPU goes, you can easily overclock it to 2.6Ghz without much trouble, and then, you'll most likely get somewhere between 500-1000PPD

Jet

VIP Member
Hey, some people do it, like those people getting 10000+ PPD. It is all about how much you care about F@H and/or the "game". Of course there are contests as well, so some people buy things like this to win new parts.

Deepblue

Hey, some people do it, like those people getting 10000+ PPD. It is all about how much you care about F@H and/or the "game". Of course there are contests as well, so some people buy things like this to win new parts.

Win stuff ?
wow i should run this on all my computers :D

this was taken for the F@H sight
What are the minimum system requirements? All computers can contribute to Folding@Home. However, if the computer is too slow (eg wasn't bought in the last 3-4 years or so), the computer might not be fast enough to make the deadlines of typical work units. In this case, one should run with deadlineless work units.

so you can run it on any cheap system

Last edited:

highrev15k

[-0MEGA-];755494 said:
Still, why would you want to spend over $200 just so you can use it for F@H? I could see if you wanted to build a second machine for a server of some sort, and have F@H running on it as well. But to build a new machine solely for F@H is a bit stupid IMO.

The main reason is that I want to contribute to the cause but I use my main PC almost all the time between gaming and some other constant programs that need a lot of cpu cycles to run smoothly. I dont really feel like crippling the performance of my main pc to help out. If I bought a couple hundred dollar pc mainly for F@H and maybe as just a storage server or something I would not have to sacrifice the speed of my current rig.